Your Very First Call

Tech217

Lone Star's firts call was a splinter in Dino's foot.

It wasn't bad enough having to deal with a splinter the size of my arm, but gettin stepped on by a dinosaur that just don't understand caveman is a real bitch!

your first call grasshopper will be a bus into a river with 45 90 year old patients and then you will have a plane crash right on top of the bus and then a train will de-rail landing on the bus which is now on fire.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles... Id say you summed it up quite well Ruff.

Anyways my first call was a very minor two car MVA. I was but a young arrogant MRT (Medica Response Technician). I remember it was winter and my hands were freezing in thoes crappy latex gloves. Also remember not being allowed to do anything. The only MRTs who were allowed to do anything in my first agency had been around for decades and knew what they were doing.

• 1 month later...

My first call as a basic was to a minor MVA. I got all excited, because I just graduated the fire academy 2 months prior, and the captain o/s was one of my instructors.

My first call as a medic...S/O involved shooting. When I finally got there (the fire district I worked for was in BFE, and this call was in BFE's BFE) found out the "victim" of the shooting, wasn't shot. He got his finger caught in the door and had a very small lac. Needless to say, as I was the only one on the engine and the box was 20 min behind me, I was a little relieved. Although I did end up needing to re-appulster the drivers seat in the engine...:)

First call as an EMT was 10-50 4 wheeler vs suv. Enroute Deputies tell radio to have us "stand on it" .

two 14 year old girls on a big ass Polaris didn't know the road they were on crossed a highway. T-Boned a suv and flipped it. No helmets, my Paramedic pointed me at a patient and went to the other. His coded as they put her on the spine board, they started working her and he yelled at me over the radio "got you a bird coming" as the ambulance rolled away to the local ER.

My patient had bi-lat tib fib fx's, 7 inch laceration to face, see teeth and tongue through cheek. Fx to ribs, right forearm, etc. etc. Did I mention Combative as hell?

Flew her out off scene, got snagged by back up ambulance to the SUV patients.

Trial by fire baby. Saw her 3 months later, got a hug for saving her life, her words not mine.

My Paramedic actually got the other one back, but she died later that night. Massive head trauma.

my first emergency run was very interesting. the service i work for has 2 stations, the one i happen to be working for is approx. 13 miles from the hospital. im nervous and eager when the tone goes off and the dispatcher says pt not breathing and no pulse. we get on scene to find, thankfully, there is a paramedic on scene who also called 911. OH yea i forgot to tell you that the medic i was with just got his medic license. we took over cpr, got the pt in the ambulance, started the iv and did the appropriate skills and went enroute to the hospital. the medic i was working with called for an intercept from the other station. Mind you i was new and niave and was totally clueless about intercepts. when the ambulance stopped for the other buses medic to jump on i jumped out of the drivers seat and ran to the back when the driver of the other ambulance( who is my husband lol) asked me what the hell i was doing and told me to get back in the truck and drive. i was so nervous and anxious about the call i didnt realize until after we arrived at the hospital that the pt who coded was a friend of my dads and i had known for several years. even though you may think you are prepared for anything your really not.

relax and learn from everything you do. you will make crazy and very interesting mistakes, we all do ( some just don't want to tell their mistakes). have fun and good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

[/font:1a2c86cc19] My first call was in the wee hours of the morning for an elderly man diff breathing. Now I don't remember exactly, but this guy had his med list typed out, AND his med. history typed out all the way back to when he had his tonsols removed in grade school. (by the way, this guy was in his mid 90's) now, not many pt's have their med lists WRITTEN out let alone their med. history... so anyways, we arrived on-scene and prepared to transport when the medic arrived and "took over" pt care. I assisted the medic on the way to the hospital, and not much happened. (except we found what had to be the only traffic on I-95, which slowed us up a bit) but all in all it was an easy first call in my opinion.

My first call was trauma. An owner of a trucking company was working on one of his big rigs. (Semi's as you americans call em) And a foreign co worker of his who could hardly speak any english at all jumped in the truck not knowing he was underneath and drove away. The owner managed to scramble from under it, or at least mostly.

He ended up catching both ankles under the non-loaded (but still extremely heavy) rig. Needless to say his employee did not have a job anymore and to this date i have seen many, more-injured patients but non presented with the classic "shock" signs as this one did. lol And to date i have yet to see any first aiders place a "casualty" in the recovery position like he was in and to boot covered in a blanket. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.