Your Very First Call

Tech217

I appreciate the honesty Dwayne, and I also can appreciate the silliness!

And I don't mean to be too eager, 4cmk6. I'm just excited. And I can't help but think that there were other new EMT's out there this excited when they first got started as well.

My first call when I was merely doing ride alongs when I was in emt school, was a stand by for a structure fire. First actual 911 was for a hemophiliac hep c lady who had a nose bleed.

My first call as an EMT (wearing sandals, shorts and a t-shirt (was volunteering and was forced to go)) was for a "intoxicated male". Once assessed and enroute to the hospital, asking more questions, he now tells me he is diabetic (which he previously denied). Later I get a phone call from one of the nurses at the hospital to tell me the patient overdosed on heroin.

First call as a medic student was a male who put a nice 6in gash across the side of his neck with a k12 saw exposing some nice vasculature and airway... wish I had a camera....

Hope YOUR first shift goes well, regardless of what it was, stay calm and all that junk. Be a duck.

Are you going to be working as a dispatcher?

Dispatchers take "calls". EMTs make runs.

And, although there have been some funny posts here, minus five for posting in the wrong forum.

WOW. Hopefully since my status here is still listed as "newbie" I can be forgiven for posting in the wrong forum.

I also hope to be forgiven for discussing my first "call," where clearly I meant to discuss my first "run." Again, I'm a newbie all around, and I guess it certainly shows.

:oops:

First call was probably a dialysis, I don't remember.

First emergency was an unwitnessed nursing home fall with +LOC, decreased mental status once conscious, and several deformed fingers. My partner felt that this was ok to go to the requested community hospital 10 minutes away instead of the trauma center 8 minutes away. Boarded, collard (by myself with the help of CNAs, he stood outside and collected paperwork), no vitals, no O2, no IV, and no state run report, just our company billing sheet.

Thanks, FireEMT. In fact, you just reminded me of something that happened back in one of my classes. During a lecture, one of my instructors had to leave to take a call. We were all wondering why he wasn't in that much of a hurry to get out the door (in other words, why wasn't he "running"???). He said to us, "If I trip and fall because I was running and injure myself, what good am I to the patient?" And that proverbial lightbulb went off in all our heads! LOL.

Sounds like you had an interesting one, CBEMT. I'd have to say trauma center if the fall was unwitnessed, especially if it was even closer than the other hospital!

my first call during right out of emt school was for a ped struck in the middle of the major route i live near.It seems he was walking home from the local restaurant (apparently only a short walk to his home from the place no car needed which around here is a novelty) he was intoxicated and an older woman driving a caddy struck him sending him about 1800-2000 feet down the road he was unconcious and unresponsive when we got there few small lacerations .He began to "come to"on intubation .Later airlifted to a hospital in lancaster county he survivied had a few broken ribs and the lacerations we found but that was it.

Hope no matter what your handed during your first shift goes well just dont get over nervous(the key is to stay calm) or anything you'll do fine we've all been there done that for first calls good luck!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.