CFD Medics and racial slurs over the radio

After reading this article, one can argue it was unfair as they did not know their radios were keyed up. Regardless of that fact, if they feel a certain way or use slurs as such in their lives when they think they are not being monitored, do you think this would affect patient care?

My question more directly is, can a person who is/displays racist tendencies perform medically unbiased?

Would they under treat those that they dislike? Would they view complaints as less serious? Would they talk certain ones out of transport?

How can a person use racial slurs, have racial issues in their personal life, yet then say it would not affect them on the job when it comes to patient care?

Here is an article that triggered these thoughts...

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/paramedics.ra...r.2.723914.html

2 Paramedics Suspended For Racial Slur Over Radio

Department Spokesman: 1 Suspension Is 'Unprecedented'

CHICAGO (STNG) ― Two Chicago Fire Department paramedics were suspended after their conversation -- in which one of the two used a racial epithet -- was beamed over a communications radio, fire officials confirmed Tuesday.

The incident happened Jan. 9 when the two were having a discussion and one used profane language. Apparently unaware their radio microphone was on, the conversation went over one of the radio dispatch channels, and a high-ranking fire official heard it.

Both paramedics were put on leave within two hours and an internal affairs investigation was launched.

A paramedic, described only as a man who used the racist language, received a "long suspension," said Fire Media Affairs Director Larry Langford.

He said an agreement with the union prevents him from saying much more about the disciplinary case, but characterized the suspension's length as "unprecedented."

The second paramedic, also a man, received a shorter suspension. The paramedics, assigned to an ambulance that serves O'Hare Airport, have already been disciplined and have returned to work.

In 1999, Fire Commissioner Edward Altman and his son, Edward Altman Jr., were forced to resign after a video showed firefighters using racial slurs.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Racism threads get a link to "Everyone's a Little Bit Racist" from Ave. Q. It's almost a law.

South Park clip, in spoiler since language is NSFW. Included also is the Scrubs take off on the Nagger episode involving Kelso (SFW).

[spoil:b0915aff0f]

[/spoil:b0915aff0f]

First off, we don't know what the racial slur is. The South Park clip uses the 'unholy of unholies" word, but other words could easily be passed off without someone even batting an eye (e.g. Polack when used in English). Suffice to say, yes, I think the strength of the word does play a role.

"Racism" is a tricky subject. On one hand, if society disallowed anyone who laughed at a racial joke or ever used a racial slur to provide care based on those being "racist," then we would have a total of zero providers. On the other extreme, there's KKK members who obviously would have trouble rendering care based on a persons skin color. Thus, there's a line someplace in the middle where racial judgments start to have an impact on providing care. As with many other parameters, there is no simple place where a line can be drawn and will have to come down to an interview and proper monitoring.

It could affect how they care for a patient, and honestly they need to watch there mouth, obviously it could get them in a world of shyt. Most radios here have identifiers on them, so you really ahve to be careful.

Regardless of that fact, if they feel a certain way or use slurs as such in their lives when they think they are not being monitored, do you think this would affect patient care?

Thats a good question. It is really quite a vague article, as it doesn't describe what was said. There is just some allusion made to a "racial slur," which really leaves things open for interpretation in our politically correct society.

However, putting this particular situation to the the side, and asking the question of racists and bigots in general, I would say that yes it would have some affect on patient care. I think that any bias or prejudgement you have changes the way you treat people. Think of the Crackheads, Homeless, and Criminal calls that we respond to, do our preconceived notions, at times effect the way they are treated by EMS? I say they do.

My question more directly is, can a person who is/displays racist tendencies perform medically unbiased?

Would they under treat those that they dislike? Would they view complaints as less serious? Would they talk certain ones out of transport?

How can a person use racial slurs, have racial issues in their personal life, yet then say it would not affect them on the job when it comes to patient care?

I think racism does affect patient care. I found myself when I started doing ambulance service treating people of color different than white people. I had grown up listening to racial comments and never was exposed to a lot of people of color. I also have seen these qualities in people I work with. It is so easy to judge people, and even though my coworkers tendencies may not be intentional about their actions, they were there none the less. I saw these qualities in myself and changed how I operate. I made sure that I was unbiased when dealing with people. It was not the kind of person I wanted to be.

Most of the people we deal with are blacks, and the poor, and in my opinion, they are treated different from most other patients. I have seen many that were talked to unprofessionally, denied any pain control, and overall thought poorly of. The fact is that it is in the field. I do not see it all the time but it is there.

I do not see how someone can be racist, use racial slurs in their personal life, and truly feel that there is a difference because of skin color and can say they provide unbiased care. It is ingrained in their thinking. It is something that I am sure they do subconsciously, if not consciously.

I run into people I don't like all the time on the ambulance, yet every one of my patients is treated exactly the same. I have coworkers in my full-time job that I don't like very much, but I still treat them respectfully and work with them in the same capacity as anyone else. Do you really find it so difficult to believe that someone can put personal feelings aside and just do their job?

You know what I find kind of amusing? Is everyone is assuming these where white guys saying things about black guys. Why is that? Maybe because if it was the other way around the media wouldn't care?

Probably for the same reason why there's _______-American for everyone who isn't "white."

Probably for the same reason why there's _______-American for everyone who isn't "white."

Are you kidding me? I'm proud to call myself a Russian-Polish-British-Welsh-Irish-American. Of course I also often call myself the original mongrel...people always seem shocked when I say that... :lol:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.