Taking NREMT-P written CBT

I'm scheduled to take the NREMT-P written exam cbt in the next couple weeks. I'm terrified due to the past remarks about it. Our Paramedic class very tough, Instructor very tough expanded our knowledge above and beyond. Been review 24/7 but still it worries me. Anyone taking it recently? within the last couple months. I took the NREMT-I/85 exam last yr on cbt and it was sumwhat tricky. I passed practicals piece of cake. Just have the registry holding me back. Anyone with any suggestions it would be very helpful.

Thanks

I'm scheduled to take the NREMT-P written exam cbt in the next couple weeks. I'm terrified due to the past remarks about it.

It can't be because of remarks made here at EMT City. Everybody comes here saying, "That was easy! It stopped after twenty minutes!"

Yeah, there are some pretty goofy questions on there that will leave you scratching your head thinking, "wtf are they talking about?" But there is nothing terrifying about it at all. The only reason anybody leaves there scared is because it seemed too easy. Don't sweat it. The practical is the hard part.

Yeah, Dust hit it right on the head. If you've studied regularly, felt your class was challenging, and feel you have a decent grasp of at least 18% of the material you were taught, then you will be disappointed by the test...Honest.

Like Dust said, I left feeling very nervous about my score simply because I assumed I must have misunderstood everything!

I believe that I could have made a decent showing with just A&P and my basic education. Again, I mean that in all honesty.

I didn't use a single review source, refused to even think about EMS the week before I took it, and on a good day my I.Q. hovers around 26ish...So how bad could you possibly do?

Tons of questions like....You see an old woman screaming on the ground, should you begin CPR, immediately cardiovert, Give 5mg of morphine IV, or assess to discover what she's screaming about....Crazy! But not far from true.

I was looking forward to the NR. I thought, "Yeah! This is the big one! The one that separates my gazillion hours of study from the wanna-be slackers!" And left thinking," F&*k, that didn't even separate me from the of the heroine addicted basics!"

If you've passed your class, and your NR skills, go have a party! Cause' you won't feel like you deserve one after the NR CBT.....

Good luck.

Dwayne

Edit: OK, so I guess I was letting my frustration show. Apologies for getting so melodramatic, but the test really is silly.

I believe that I could have made a decent showing with just A&P and my basic education. Again, I mean that in all honesty.

I didn't use a single review source, refused to even think about EMS the week before I took it, and on a good day my I.Q. hovers around 26ish...So how bad could you possibly do?

Edit: OK, so I guess I was letting my frustration show. Apologies for getting so melodramatic, but the test really is silly.

:lol: Man, he makes himself sound sooooo simple while his musings show him as one of the more intelligent, grounded kooks on this board...jeesh!

He is right though..a good A&P background, and showing up to class most of the time and........The test really is silly.. :wink:

Good luck and concentrate on the practical...

Having just taken the nremt cbt 5/8/08 (i passed btw 1st shot), i can speak from experience that it was both very easy, and very difficult. Let me clarify my statement.. There were no medical math problems, the drugs were easy, the strips were even easier, yet still there is the problem of wording, crazy ass scenarios, and just basic crap i've never heard of and i went through 3 years of hell to in college to earn my paramedic patch. Example (without looking it up) you are called to an mci and you call for an ambulance strike team.. what does that consist of? 5 ambulances, additional ambulances, 4 ambulances and a supervisor, 2 helicopters and 4 ambulances.. some crap like that. Now i'm sorry if i didn't pay 100 percent attention to NIMS, i was busy with all the rest, but seriously, is that necessary? I answered 82 questions, and the rest of my class mates were inline with that from a college based course, but another set of friends graduating from 1 year programs all answered well into the hundreds, and most of them failed. I can only say go with your "gut instinct" the way you do in the field, and you'll be fine. Also brush up on medical terminology because they use that often. Example: thoracocentisis (sp?) instead of chest decompression.. good luck.. you'll be fine...

btw i'm now officially a state of texas EMT-P bitches.... lol

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm about to take it too. I'm with you... Nervous as hell. I went through a one year program where all the information was crammed down our throats at lightning speed. Only about 7 or 8 out of our class of 22 graduated. People from my school are going well over 100 questions before the computer shuts off.

People are saying to worry about the practical, but it's the cbt that's really the intimidating part.

Here is what I'm hearing from the people that passed: Keep it on a basic level whenever possible. Go in thinking like an EMT Basic- not like a paramedic.

I have one friend that did not deliver one drug, (other than O2), the whole test. He passed. They're saying that the Registry wants to know that you will cover your basic skills first before jumping to any advanced procedures.

Take it for what it's worth, but that's the approach I'm taking.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.