Firefighter delivers baby

Firefighter delivers baby

Young firefighter thrilled to help bring baby into the world in time for Mother's Day

By NADIA MOHARIB, SUN MEDIA

The Calgary Sun

With only six months job experience, firefighter Clay Brophy worked with Calgary EMS to help deliver a baby girl yesterday. Brophy said he relaxed when he realized how calm the mom was. (Brendan Miller, Special to the Sun)

Rookie firefighter Clay Brophy took part in delivering the best Mother's Day gift ever -- helping a woman bring her baby girl into the world.

Brophy joined fellow-fire crews and paramedics called about 7:30 a.m. yesterday to a southeast home, where a mother was in labour.

With only six months on the job, the 25-year-old concedes he was initially nervous, but elated when a baby girl was born about five minutes after they arrived, just in time for Mother's Day today.

"I was ecstatic everything went well, I'm really happy ... I've never been to a delivery before," said Brophy.

When crews got there, the baby, not scheduled to arrive until mid-June, was crowning.

As Brophy went into the home, he replayed his training in his mind. Paramedics and experienced co-workers were there to help the mom and at the same time coach him through his first on-the job delivery.

"You're running through your mind and trying to think about what your part is going to be," he said.

"I was thinking of a lady in a bed, so right off the bat we walked through the front door and there was a lady giving birth in the living room -- it caught me off-guard."

While paramedics did their job, Brophy supported the mother's legs and helped talk her through the birth.

"Once I was talking to the mom, it calmed me down because mom was calm, too," he said.

The highlight was when a healthy looking baby girl with a smattering of fair hair arrived to her happy family.

Capt. Stewart Wenman applauded the efforts of crews at the scene, but stressed most of the credit goes to the newborn's mother.

"The hardest-working person on that call was the mom," the 27-year veteran said.

While it all unfolded, Wenman was taking to the father and an older sister overjoyed at an unexpected outcome.

"They were expecting a baby boy and when the older sister found out it was a baby girl she was absolutely thrilled it wasn't a brother," he said.

EMS spokesman Stuart Brideaux said baby deliveries are a treat, a balance to the tragic calls often part of their day-to-day job.

"It's extraordinarily exciting for EMS crews to be there to help. We recognize paramedics, nurses and doctors don't deliver babies, moms do -- we support and it's tremendously life-affirming, nothing less than joyous," he said.

Ok, I hate to sound petty, but I was a little annoyed by this article. It was on the front page of the daily, the headline reading "FIREFIGHTER DELIVERS BABY" with a picture of the smiling firefighter holding a bouquet of flowers.

According to the story the Firefighter had to perform the difficult task of touching the patients knee and telling her to breathe. To give the newspaper credit, they at least made a passing mention of Paramedics being involved; apparently they were doing their "job" (whatever that is) when this rookie walked in and saved the day.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I noticed was the statement "firefighter delivers baby" used in same article with the statement "We recognize paramedics, nurses and doctors don't deliver babies, moms do" (oh and firemen do too).

Delivering a baby, so easy even a fireman can do it. :roll:

So, does this mean that paramedics should get to claim credit for putting out a structure fire if all they do is sit on scene and watch?

To my admittedly twisted mind, and other twisted minds on EMT City, yes it does!

Also, yes, moms do all the work, and that is why it is called "Labor".

Anyone else assisting just stands there with a catcher's mitt, with words of encouragement, "C'mon mommy, c'mon mommy"...(POP)..."It's a girl!"

FYI, with me having been on ambulances from 1973, I have been the one with the catcher's mitt, figuratively speaking, only 2 times. One of my friends, on his first day working for the FDNY EMS, on his very first call, delivered TWINS!

So, does this mean that paramedics should get to claim credit for putting out a structure fire if all they do is sit on scene and watch?

:twisted:

My God you are a pathetic bunch of insecure and miserable people. I really wonder what you people are thinking. I have never seen such childish behavior from a bunch of people who run around and pound on their chests and spew that they are professionals.

How about GOOD JOB!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.