Awesome Paramedic school I applied too

Which are you directing you question to?

With Mobey as he never really discusses education. He focuses on the fun. Just want to make sure we're not being played.

With Mobey as he never really discusses education. He focuses on the fun. Just want to make sure we're not being played.

Exactly. I had to double check the calendar to make sure this wasn't April Fool's Day. This "team building" nonsense sounds about as relevant as how cool their uniforms are.

I completely disagree that the practice of medicine is a team sport. It's all about individuals being the best they can be.

Exactly. I had to double check the calendar to make sure this wasn't April Fool's Day. This "team building" nonsense sounds about as relevant as how cool their uniforms are.

I completely disagree that the practice of medicine is a team sport. It's all about individuals being the best they can be.

How can you be the best you can be at what you do if you don't work as a team?

The team has no bearing whatsoever on how good you are. They can make you look better, but they cannot make you better. And making you look better is a false sense of success. It's a crutch that dooms you to mediocrity. I don't care how good my "team" is. I only care about how good I am, and how well the team listens to me and follows my directions.

As far as curriculum goes, it is top notch. I know quite a few medics whom have completed it, and they are in mostly supervisory positions. Not that that means much, but with the NOCP's the school can't really half arse teach, not at the ALS level.

I can say their students have no problem getting practicum placements and they have a high pass rate at the provincial exam level. They are also CMA accredited.

As far as the team stuff goes:

You know that one medic, that real prick who dosen't work well with anyone? That jerk who when your on shift with him, you find yourself in a pissy mood and not really being the best caregiver you can be because your so miserable?

Ya, he would fail this school!

The team stuff is only half the attraction for me, it is very focused on shaping health care professionals, that is what I am really excited about.

P.S. If you don't know that one medic I am talking about, be careful it may be you :lol:

*This post is not directed at anyone*

The team has no bearing whatsoever on how good you are. They can make you look better, but they cannot make you better. And making you look better is a false sense of success.

I see you're point, I seem to have missled ya'll to believe this is a team building school. Well the curriculum is there and challenging, If you can't pull your weight you will fail.

I agree with the above statement. I also know how many jobs I have left because people do not get along or work "together". Yes I often too work "Around" people, but I try not to make a habit of it, makes for a long career.

I can actually see it from both sides. I once posted that I thought the pseudo military model was great for EMS. Then someone smarter than I reminded me that teamwork is great for basics, but being a paramedic is not a team sport ultimately.

On the flip side, how many of you had a class filled with people that were motivated, focused and primed to become health care professionals? Myself, plus perhaps two others in my class. That's pretty terrible.

If that is the type of student that many schools are getting, and it sounds from here as if it may be, then I believe that creating a professional, focused, goal driven student makes sense, and I applaud the school that takes the time and energy to do so as long as the curriculum is equally as challenging.

The schools are complaining that it's difficult to turn out good medics based on the quality of student they recieve. They blame the quality of student academics on the teachers that came before them. The seasoned professionals are complaining that there are mostly idiots going into medic schools because the vetting process is too weak....etc.

If this school has decided to take responsibility for creating teachable, positive, goal oriented students before they take the huge step of trying to educate them, then I don't see a problem with it....With two qualifiers...

First, that the curriculum is more advanced, to continue to challenge this different grade of student..

Second, that in the end the school remembers and is focused on the fact that paramedicine is ultimately, 'All about me." My intelligence, my leadership, my control. That's not the 'paragod' mentality speaking, it's the moral, ethical, responsible position I believe each medic must assume. If the school maintains that ultimate goal within their sights, then I'm on board with this concept...

Dwayne

Second, that in the end the school remembers and is focused on the fact that paramedicine is ultimately, 'All about me." My intelligence, my leadership, my control. That's not the 'paragod' mentality speaking, it's the moral, ethical, responsible position I believe each medic must assume. If the school maintains that ultimate goal within their sights, then I'm on board with this concept...Dwayne

Excellent Dwayne! Could not have said it any better...

Every class, course, or school that I have ever taken, where they used the team approach, I ended up doing all the friggin' work myself while everybody else either did nothing or just complained. Then they all took credit for my work, and I took credit for their FAILURE. Screw that. This is one of those psychobabble theories that sounds wonderful to all the feel-good social worker and elementary education types, but ultimately FAILS in the real adult world.

The window of effectiveness for this sort of silliness passed around grade 8. It has no place in adult education.

Every class, course, or school that I have ever taken, where they used the team approach, I ended up doing all the friggin' work myself while everybody else either did nothing or just complained. Then they all took credit for my work, and I took credit for their FAILURE. Screw that. This is one of those psychobabble theories that sounds wonderful to all the feel-good social worker and elementary education types, but ultimately FAILS in the real adult world.

The window of effectiveness for this sort of silliness passed around grade 8. It has no place in adult education.

You must be referring to the "success only learning" programs that were attempted in elementary schools during the 90's. They were in fact a total failure. The students did learn the information however they completely fell apart at the first sign of adversity. IE the first time they had to think for themselves. All that garbage was going on at the same time I was going through school. Fortunately for me I had parents who didn't abide by that garbage and made sure I actually received an education.

For me the big tell with any program is the quality of the medics that program turns out. If a program puts out quality people and includes sound medical education then It's worth consideration.