B.C. new EMR-ACP through JIBC

bosc

Because every minute you spend farking around at the bls level, you are learning new bad habits to bring to paramedic school, not to mention the numerous patients you cheat out of proper care.

Plus 5 for using "farking" as a verb. :thumbright:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what BC -- and the rest of Canadia and the U.S. too -- ought to be doing. It is the very best of all possible educational systems. Those "minimum patient contacts" will give you a LOT more experiential benefits if you have a solid foundation of understanding in your brain before you experience them. That way, it takes a lot fewer patient contacts to achieve competence, because you learn so much more on each contact.

That is in fact exactly what BC will be doing. I'll let you know how it turns out when I go through the program (probably Sept. next year). My frustration as I said before is that I've now completed a PCP program (because that's what I was told I needed to do) that won't help me gain entry to the program. Had the system been straight with me right off the bat I would have spent my time and money on the real pre-requisites and been ready that much sooner.

Don't get too hung up on the name of the school Dust. The Justice Institute of BC is the name only. The reality of the situation is that the JI is an umbrella for several schools including Fire, Police, and Paramedic academies. It's the same idea as having several faculties within a university. Given the name I would suspect that the Police academy was the founding faculty so to speak.

Everything else aside, I have to say that I really like the prerequisite list! That is an excellent start, and will finally put them heads above most anything in the U.S. I'd like to see the rest of the curriculum though.

Everything else aside, I have to say that I really like the prerequisite list! That is an excellent start, and will finally put them heads above most anything in the U.S. I'd like to see the rest of the curriculum though.

So would I. The curriculum hasn't been released yet. I'm doing what I can to take the best program available and based on the pre-requisites it will be one of the best. Hopefully the curriculum is released before they have my money locked in so I can evaluate it fully and compare it to the SIAST program.

You do have to go through all the steps in Alberta. The zero to hero programs in Alberta take you from EMR to EMT-A to EMT-P in one continuous stretch. No minimum patient contacts in between the levels of license.

I do not believe that is quite correct, I think that freak maybe have something got left that out of the post as ACoP requires both Field and Hospital endorsements and practicums at the EMT level and the Paramedic level the idea of "zero to hero" is not quite the reality, it is mandated before moving up the feeding chain. This was build into the system of checks and balances many many years ago, yet saddly lacking in the EMR qualifications or OFA level 3 (BC) in passing, many EMRs in the oilpatch have no understanding of how the EMS culture works ... How could they with present regulations for a sub basic level.

As for minimum patient contacts this is a bit of a concern and addressed by ACoP in the past, as one really has no ability to pick and choose calls let alone the types of calls ... this concept of minimum patient contact was challenged by ACoPs membership over 15 years ago and frankly its a bit of a red herring and frought with problems.

For example in the very northern communities Maternity calls abound, in Vegreville (cardiac central) or working in a major urbal area where Critical Care interfacility transfers ventilated, IABP, with tropes running and stat Cath lab transports are more the norm, these expose the urban practitioner to many the weird and the wonderful, the different geographical demographic population base dictates the call volume, that's just the way it is, and how in a realistic means can one adjudicate. Running on a Blue Hair express back to an nursing home .... is this really emergent care?

I agree that just hours is not the optimal way to do things but about the only way to currently address the situation, and a big stumbling block to ACoP to be included in Health Proffessions Act. A good Con Ed program and developing a learning plan to the individually addresses "streghths" and "weaknesses" this is conceptually a good idea, but lots of hiccups with that too.... live and learn I guess, Dave MacLean is on it and it is improving slowly, lock and unlock competancies is just plain ass stupid. Introducing the CIMS concept is not easy with the all the software glitches ... I guess patience is a virtue. In passing sure wish I could get a hardcopy of my records ... would make it a whole heck of a lot easier ... sorry off topic.

So really in conclusion is there really a zero to hero program in Alberta ? ... not really no one can go directly from EMR to Paramedic without touching a patient.

RockShoes:

My frustration as I said before is that I've now completed a PCP program (because that's what I was told I needed to do) that won't help me gain entry to the program. Had the system been straight with me right off the bat I would have spent my time and money on the real pre-requisites and been ready that much sooner.

Don't you just love Government ? btw, sorry to hear of your conundrum. I do know a good Lawyer if you want to push the point of misdirection that could impact the JI if you don't get in and you have good documentation.

All the best.

cheers

I'll keep that in mind Tniuqs. At this point I'm going to take my lumps and do the new pre-requisites. I think that overall they are a step in the right direction and I want to support these kind of movements even when it costs me to do so. If nurses can have a bachelor's degree program then so should paramedics who have to be able to function as independent providers right from the word go.

The responsibility placed on paramedics is enormous for the educational requirements overall. I want to see the education meet and exceed the level of responsibility.

I'll keep that in mind Tniuqs. At this point I'm going to take my lumps and do the new pre-requisites. I think that overall they are a step in the right direction and I want to support these kind of movements even when it costs me to do so. If nurses can have a bachelor's degree program then so should paramedics who have to be able to function as independent providers right from the word go.

The responsibility placed on paramedics is enormous for the educational requirements overall. I want to see the education meet and exceed the level of responsibility.

KUDOS! Love your attitude man, thing is most bachelor's degree program here are a Buisness degree, not Sciences, this makes for zip progress in delivery of care .... sadly its about becoming management or running a for profit show. Would be great to see a a Paramedic Practitioner Programe but then it would have to be called PP :oops:

Just watch in April of 09, things may change quite radically when AIT becomes mandatory for provices to comply. Have you checked out Paramedics of Canada website there is an AIT "tool" in it. Open the wide!

The degree programs I've seen so far are geared towards management almost exclusively. The rumours at this point are that the JI's program will split in to two streams following the ACP. One a management degree program. The other a practicioner program. I have taken a quick look at the AIT. It's going to be an interesting couple of years!

In the mean time what's it like coming over to the patch as a PCP? I did it as an EMR for a stretch and it was a real pain. Do you still have to go through the entire ACoP process or is there an expedited process for those already licensed in other provinces (in light of the upcoming AIT)? I still prefer working a public emergency cars but I need to bankroll my next stint in school.

• 3 months later...

They have come out with a more exacting list of requirements which I feel improve somewhat on there initial try. The Academic pre-reqs are all obtainable via distance learning.

Here is the complete summary for those interested:

Here is an update to admission requirements for the new ACP Program. Our new webpage with further information will be launched shortly, you will be notified of the launch by email.

Entry to the program follows two pathways Paramedic Practitioner (PCP) or Allied Health Practitioner, the admission requirements for both pathways are detailed below.

To be accepted into the program, you must also successfully complete a Selection process.

The application package and details of the Selection process will be available by February 15th.

The Pilot program is scheduled for April 2009. If you meet the requirements detailed below and are interested in taking part in the Pilot program we would like to hear from you again. Please contact Carole Mulligan at cmulligan@jibc.ca to put your name forward for this class so that we may follow up with you more closely.

1. Paramedic Practitioner (PCP):

Ø PCP Certificate:

PCP certificate from an accredited PCP program or possesses a valid a PCP license to practice in any province or territory of Canada with the equivalent of 1 year’s full time experience. Or an equivalent training abroad; an equivalency process may be required at the expense of the applicant

Ø General Requirements:

Ø BLS for Healthcare Provider

Ø Criminal record check. No conviction for a criminal offence related to the job of a paramedic will be accepted

Ø Proof of immunization for Diphtheria, Tetanus, Measles, Polio, Rubella, Hepatitis B (HBV), Influenza

Ø Physically able to perform the required tasks of a paramedic

Ø IV Insertion Training

Ø Academic Foundation Requirements list

List of academic foundation courses for equivalency benchmark are as follows: (based on TRU-OL offering to provide a benchmark for equivalency)

Ø Anatomy and Physiology BIOL 159/169 (6 credits)

Ø Pathophysiology CEHS202 (4 credits)

Ø Pharmacology CEHS204(3 credits)

Ø ENGL 108 – Critical Reading & Writing (3 credits)

Ø PSYC210 Intro to Statistics or 220 Intro to Research (3 credits)

Ø PSYC100 level (3 credits)

Note:

If you wish to be hired by an ambulance service you need to have a valid BC Class 4 driver’s license at time of application for employment.

2. Allied Health Practitioner:

Ø EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) course completion. (PLAR granted for PCP)

Ø General requirements:

Ø BLS for Healthcare Provider

Ø Criminal record check. No conviction for a criminal offence related to the job of a paramedic will be accepted

Ø Proof of immunization for Diphtheria, Tetanus, Measles, Polio, Rubella, Hepatitis B (HBV), Influenza

Ø Physically able to perform the required tasks of a paramedic

Ø IV Insertion Training

Ø Academic requirements:

Academic pre-health sciences (must meet a Prior Learning Assessment – PLAR granted for current RN & RT Practitioners). List of academic foundation courses for equivalency benchmark are as follows (based on TRU-OL offering to provide an benchmark for equivalency:

Ø Anatomy and Physiology 159/169 (6 credits)

Ø Pathophysiology CEHS202 (4 credits)

Ø Pharmacology CEHS204(3 credits)

Ø ENGL 108 – Critical Reading & Writing (3 credits)

Ø PSYC210 Intro to Statistics or 220 Intro to Research (3 credits)

Ø PSYC100 level (3 credits)

A transcript evaluation for all Allied Health disciplines will be required excluding RN & RT (this will be in place until we become more familiar with each disciplines foundation education).

Ø Prehospital Care Foundation: (PLAR granted for PCP)

Modules to be covered:

Ø Introduction to Paramedic Practice 111 (Online course + 4 day Ride along/observation on an ambulance)

Ø Health & Wellness: OSH & Personal Safety

Ø Fundamentals 210

Ø Ambulance Orientation & Driving Strategies (this does not involve actual driver training)

Ø Lifts & Transfers

Ø Oxygen Therapy

Ø IV Insertion Training

Ø Professional Practice: Communication & Technology

Note:

If you wish to be hired by an ambulance service you need to have a valid BC Class 4 driver’s license at time of application for employment.

We will continue to email information on the new ACP Program to this mailing list as it becomes available. To unsubscribe from this mailing list please email acp@jibc.ca

Carole Mulligan

Program Planner, Paramedic Academy

Justice Institute of BC

715 McBride Boulevard, New Westminster, BC V3L 5T4

Tel: 604.528.5739 email: cmulligan@jibc.ca Fax: 604.528.5715

A bit confused with some of these BC abbreviations ?

PLAR ?

TRU-OL ?

And are EMRs allowed to start lines ? or just maybe I am reading this wrong ?

And this RN/RT thing ... is that counted towards equivlency at the ACP level, sans a couple of courses, kinda odd that oxygen therapy be included for RRTs ?

cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.