B.C. new EMR-ACP through JIBC

bosc

It isn't appropriate to eliminate PCP for two reasons. First, the vast majority of attendants will not be capable of making the jump from EMR to ACP all in one step.

Well in myopinion if youcannot make the transition from EMR or joe-public, to ACP through an all in one course, you should not be in this buisness.

That is like saying "You must become an LPN before taking RN."

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mixed feelings on this deal. I'm all for eliminating half-steps. Go big or go home. I think it will create better providers. However, I am completely against screwing over all those people who have been playing by the rules and patiently waiting for the JI to get their shit together. There needs to be a transitional program and period established for PCPs already licensed.

For clarification, are PCPs and the PCP programme being completely eliminated from the system? Or will they continue to train and field PCPs in addition to ACPs?

This really sounds like a moneymaking scam for the JI. I hate the JI.

Mixed feelings on this deal. I'm all for eliminating half-steps. Go big or go home. I think it will create better providers. However, I am completely against screwing over all those people who have been playing by the rules and patiently waiting for the JI to get their shit together. There needs to be a transitional program and period established for PCPs already licensed.

Exactly. That's the problem I have with what is being done. We've played by their rules and now they've arbitrarily decided to change them and leave the lot of us hanging in the wind.

For clarification, are PCPs and the PCP programme being completely eliminated from the system? Or will they continue to train and field PCPs in addition to ACPs?

This really sounds like a moneymaking scam for the JI. I hate the JI.

That's the screwed up part. From what I can gather they still intend to run the PCP program.

Are they no longer running a PCP to ACP program? Are PCPs excluded from becoming ACPs?

Paramedic Programs - Advanced Care Paramedic Program Redesign

Prerequisites:

Liberal Studies:

* 3 credits of first year Mathematics (for example, TRU-OL: Math 150)

* 3 credits of first year English (for example, TRU-OL: English 106 )

* 3 credits of Critical Reading and Writing (for example, TRU-OL: English 110 Critical Reading and Writing)

* 6 credits of first year introductory Psychology (for example, TRU-OL: PSYCH 101/102 Intro to PSYC I and II )

* 3 credit course in research (for example, TRU-OL: Research PSYC 220 Statistics in Social Science)

Medical Sciences:

* 6 credits of Human Anatomy & Physiology (for example, TRU-OL: HLSC 159/169)

* 3 credits of Pathophysiology (for example, TRU-OL: CEHS 202)

* 3 credits of Pharmacology (for example, TRU-OL: CEHS 204)

Recommended Courses:

* Medical Terminology (for example, TRU-OL: CEHS 198: 2 credits)

EMS Courses:

* Emergency Medical Responder JIBC – EMR 100

These courses can be taken through a variety of post-secondary colleges or universities, We have included course numbers from Open Learning at Thompson Rivers University (TRU-OL) for your reference, please check the BC Transfer Guide for equivalencies http://www.bctransferguide.ca/ . Completion of the above courses could lead to a Pre-Health Certificate granted by TRU.

There will be a PLA process in place for those who have already completed any of these courses.

If you would like to be placed on our mailing list to receive updates or if you have any questions about the new program please email acp@jibc.ca

JIBC New ACP Entry Requirements

There is absolutely no mention of any different progression for people already in possession of a PCP license.

PCP program will still be offered as usual, however there has been no mention of a trasition course or some sort of restructuring for those who have been coming from the PCP.

My emails to the program planner have not been returned on this;

Carole Mulligan, cmulligan@jibc.ca , 604-528-5739

I would personally love to see a full degree program offered in paramedicine. Perhaps this is leaning more towards that. My issue is that as a PCP with 700 or so patient contacts I feel screwed. I can't imagine how they believe its OK not to recognize the PCP at all.

What's the best way to become ALS? Its a highly debated issue. Speaking with many ACP's in the past has made me value patient contacts. I don't feel like i could do this work at an ACP level without a solid BLS background. I could improve my BLS skills so much still. Its a continuous learning curve.

That said, I wish ALS was the standard across the board. I'm running now what is essentially a volunteer ambulance service. I look to alaska (i can see it from the house) and see ALS in every community, even a town of 400. Its simply better patient care.

You have explained why PCP is a reasonable step in the process though. Show that eliminating PCPs somehow creates inferior health care professionals.

It won't make for inferior health care providers. It's the way things are being implemented that's the problem. They've put everyone on one path by forcing them to take PCP first and now they're telling us PCP isn't what we should have been taking. It's the total lack of consistency that's so frustrating.

It won't make for inferior health care providers. It's the way things are being implemented that's the problem. They've put everyone on one path by forcing them to take PCP first and now they're telling us PCP isn't what we should have been taking. It's the total lack of consistency that's so frustrating.

Thank you for clarifying, I understand now :)

I dont know about other PCP's but a PCP is able to handle 90% of Emerg calls or so stats in alberta have told me. (And my work on BLS and ALS cars i have seen that.) Especially with GAP in place.

But now being in my first year of ACP school i see the drop out rates of PCP's who cant make the cut to ALS let alone if EMR's where to try?! We had a "zero-to-hero" program here in alberta and last info i heard Portage College started teaching down for the municipality where the "other" school was located out of.

My point being here in Alberta now that we're short ACP's everywhere (cities, rural etc.) Due to the boom and the retirement of so many baby boomers, it now rests on the PCP's until those PCP's become ACP's.

we still have the 'zero-to-hero' program in alberta. i am a graduate from that myself. i liked the well-roundedness of the program, and luckily alberta's registration via ACoP allows those who cannot make it all the way through a chance to work in EMS as very valued members. i would hate to see PCP's removed. on the other hand, i would like to see all cars be ALS cars, ACP/PCP mix.

however, i am a firm believer that you can only get so much from books. working as a PCP made an immense impact on my skills, techiniques, confidence and so much more. if a school is going to have a 'zero-to-hero' program, they should have siginificantly longer and more stringent practica.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.