Unsafe scene encounters

Motocross is pretty scary sometimes.

Example – 40 bikes pumping towards you (all wanting that 10 grand prize) You’re sitting just below the table top so when they go for some air they wont see you, your with an unresponsive rider and they wont stop the race… Parents rock up screaming at you, your partner is arguing with the race officials, the dude on flags in one ear telling you to get off the track. Gotta love adrenaline! :lol:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Motocross is pretty scary sometimes.

Example – 40 bikes pumping towards you (all wanting that 10 grand prize) You’re sitting just below the table top so when they go for some air they wont see you, your with an unresponsive rider and they wont stop the race… Parents rock up screaming at you, your partner is arguing with the race officials, the dude on flags in one ear telling you to get off the track. Gotta love adrenaline! :D

Been there, done that. MotoX and flat track. We never had that much problem though. The only thing was almost every rider begged us not to cut their leathers and wanted to get back in the race. So what if they had a flailed chest and couldn't breath right. We didn't let them go back out.

I was sent to call for abd pain and was advised to stage at the corner so PD could clear the scene. I was puzzled at this point but followed instructions. When we were cleared forward, I was met at the door by one of the officers on the scene. He said that the reason for all the staging and stuff was that they, the PD, had had problems with the resident at this address.

My partner and I looked at each other, nodded, and went in. The patient was laying in bed with a sheet pulled up to his chest. An officer was in the room with him and we were joined by the other officer. I began my assessment with this guys permission. All is good up to this point. When I pulled the sheet back, I was instantly between two officers and drawn weapons and a 1911 Colt .45 that was between this guys legs, kind of tucked under his, uh, parts. The handle was clearly visible. To make a long one short, nothing happened. One of the officers came forward and secured the weapon, the patient apologized profusely and I lost more hair. The officers also apologized.

I learned a lesson. Never take anything for granted. If the scene is pronounced safe, verify it as you move through it. "Read" the scene, so to speak.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.