EMS "bunker" type gear.

The Dept. I work for issues it's EMS Old-style rubber pull-up boots(Old school Chicago Fire Type) and the long coats. Our helmets are black Cairns with Blue-Leather shields with the Star of Life. I haven't had a problem with the whole setup, but a lot of people complain about it.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is that a catch? And phased into what? I don't understand.

And I also don't understand how you can work a 40 hour shift in 12-hour increments. It'll come out to either 36 or 48 hours.

Sorry I wasn't clear.. right now our trucks are supposed to be 13 hours, with two different week schedules, it comes out to 39 hours and 52 hours. however, it usually works out to a 12 hour shift.

From what they've told us, they don't want to pay single certs overtime, so it will most likely be 39 hour work week.

from what I'm reading here, it sounds like they want to run off the single role medics. They be "phased out" by attrition. they'll make them the station duty b*tches, make them go polish the floor at HQ, wash the battalion chief's Tahoe, etc.

from what I'm reading here, it sounds like they want to run off the single role medics. They be "phased out" by attrition. they'll make them the station duty b*tches, make them go polish the floor at HQ, wash the battalion chief's Tahoe, etc.

They are going to be system status trucks, meaning they will have posts that they have to sit at for their shift until they get a call (this is how our service works currently). So the will be sitting at a gas station for X amount of hours until they have a call.

Personally, I'm so new in this field that the transition isn't going to hurt me, actually, it's giving me fire standards and paramedic for free, which is the idea, it's cheaper to hire a bunch of kids out of highschool, and people with little/no experience.

What sucks is that transport is considered the entry level position for fire, so all of the transport units will be ran by the fresh outa medic schoolers, many of which were forced to go to paramedic school. I hope I don't need service =/

My department purchased the Globe EMS Rescue gear and issued it to all the full time personnel. As far as I know we are the only non-fire based EMS service in the area to have EMS "bunker gear." My side job is with the neigboring town that is attached to a Fire service and the medics that are not firefighters do not receive protective gear. We were issued the coat,pants, Thorogood fire boots, rescue helmets and extrication gloves. We were also issued ESS goggles with the helmets. That of course did not fit over my prescription glasses so today I replaced them with Wily X Prescription goggles. Over all most of our department is happy with the gear. We are required to wear it on all MVC's and any other hazardous scenes as well as major scenes with the potential to have high bodily fluid contact. IMO this gear is a valuable asset to our personnel. We can now get allot closer into pt care during exrtications. It also serves great as cold weather and rain gear. i actually stopped using my regular department jacket during the winter months and started wearing my "bunker" coat. A little about my self I am an EMT-B working for a service just south of Houston,TX. We run 3 24 hour MICU trucks and two additional trucks during the day with a supervisor in a command vehicle.. We have a semi high call volume with all range types of calls so I have used my gear multiple times and really like it. It is easy on and off and two sets(mine and my partners) fits perfectly in the truck not taking up to much additional space. So I hope this helper your opinion on the gear and who cares if someone looked at you with the "Dee Dee Dee' look it is all about keeping your rear safe and going home the same way you left without any additional injuries or diseases.

i wouldnt wear it at all, is it manditory ? :?

if you don't wear the PPE required by your employer - prepare to be ejected from scene by the safety officer and disciplined by your employer

if you don't wear the PPE required by your employer kiss good bye to a significant part of any insurance / compensation payments if you have a booboo - contributory negligence

aside from any potential prosecutions under health and safety legislation

at a bare minimum for an RTC or other extrication type scenario, or even a call to a construction site this means

- suitable safety footwear

- workwear/uniform covering ankle- to wrist - to neckline - in an ideal world this would be fire resistant

- gloves appropriate to task ( e.g. nitrile or latex when hands on with the patient, leather work gloves / specific extrication gloves when handling other stuff

- approrpaite head protection ( rescue helmet if not a full FF helmet)

- appropriate hi vis for working on the roads...

So I am at my clinical today (still there right now). I put my gear on the Ambulance as usual, and checked everything out. We run a call, and my preceptor tells me to take the pants and boots off (zip up Pro Warringtons) the truck, or I am going to be taken off, since "I wont be near any fire" :roll: .

Aigh, the things I put up with for clinical hours....

My part time job assigns us boots, bunker jacket, and pants. We are required to wear our lovely gear on vehicle rescues. I have yet to go on a call that required me to leave my patient to dress properly. :roll: Of course, if I get the chance, sure I will, but most of the time, I will put on a helmet and a jacket while treating my patient in the vehicle.

My other full time job has bullet proof vests and required gear in station. It is our responsibility to find the appropriate gear and grab it if needed. :lol:

Im in new york city, and our bunker gears are pretty neat... yellow with that silver reflector on it and on back it says NYC EMT. they can get heavy tho... but depends on where you work; it is mandatory to wear it on MCI's my partner always wears his no matter what the call is. he finds it aweosme to wear. and FDNY EMS most of them wear it. but it's not mandatory tho

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.