Extrication Gloves

Heavy duty helmet w/ flashlight

Fireproof/waterproof/whatever proof rubber type boots

Heavy Duty Rain coat

Rain Pants

Winter Coat

All i've ever worn was the rain coat and winter jacket

Even on MVCs?

I see you are form Ocala...my guess is that you are, or are about to become a FF, if you worked for Marion County EMS (that was a raw deal).

is there not an SOP put in place for that? I know from mid March to late November is royally hot and humid, but sweating a tad to be safe is worth it, no?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even on MVCs?

I see you are form Ocala...my guess is that you are, or are about to become a FF, if you worked for Marion County EMS (that was a raw deal).

is there not an SOP put in place for that? I know from mid March to late November is royally hot and humid, but sweating a tad to be safe is worth it, no?

To be honest, fire rescue is usually first on scene or right on top of us... any time I've been first on scene, I either didn't REALLY need the gear, or by the time I'm all suited up, fire already would have been doing their thing. The only time it is actually needed is like, hurricane/tornado stuff...

as far as our service goes...

yeah, a LOT of people are very upset... we have to reapply, go through probation again... we are not allowed to buy into FL retirement, so everyone gets their 403B cashed in, and has to start over... not to mention seniority is null, people are losing 1/3 or more of their pay, all of the supervisory positions that have the title "lieutenant, captain, cheif" require dual certification, none of our ranks are recognized. i could go on and on...

they will have 100 open ff/ems positions and like 50 ems positions open.. to get in the single cert position, their physician has to declare you medically unable to attend fire school, (so unless you have a cardiac history worse than tachycardia, you'll be going)...

only 7 people have applied, and the chief is getting ready to shit a brick...

It's really going to depend on what type of service you belong to, and how involved you are in MVA's. If all you do is wait until the fire department brings you the pt, then no, you probably don't need a set of turnouts that much. But, if you're getting involved in pt care while extrication is still going on, or even doing pt care while the pt is still on the ground, then yes, having a set is a good idea. And should be mandatory to have on to be inside a car during extrication. The turnouts won't provide only heat protection, but also acts as another fluid barrier, and well as keeping you pretty well protected from those nice sharp objects that are often found at accident scenes. Kneel down in broken glass once without the pants on or have a piece of metal lodge in your arm and you'll see the need.

Agency dependant though...I wouldn't run out and buy a set for yourself, but if you are getting involved in the initial care at accidents, might be a good idea to talk with the management about getting a few sets.

[quote="mrsmall"To be honest, fire rescue is usually first on scene or right on top of us... any time I've been first on scene, I either didn't REALLY need the gear, or by the time I'm all suited up, fire already would have been doing their thing. The only time it is actually needed is like, hurricane/tornado stuff...

as far as our service goes...

yeah, a LOT of people are very upset... we have to reapply, go through probation again... we are not allowed to buy into FL retirement, so everyone gets their 403B cashed in, and has to start over... not to mention seniority is null, people are losing 1/3 or more of their pay, all of the supervisory positions that have the title "lieutenant, captain, cheif" require dual certification, none of our ranks are recognized. i could go on and on...

they will have 100 open ff/ems positions and like 50 ems positions open.. to get in the single cert position, their physician has to declare you medically unable to attend fire school, (so unless you have a cardiac history worse than tachycardia, you'll be going)...

Here's a question/statement of how we generally do it.

We don't get issued any "turn out" gear. We have gloves, goggles, and helmets with face shields. If we need the coat, fire always has a couple of extra on their trucks that we can scoop.

It is much more cost effective for them to have a couple than for us to all be issued our own.

=D> They ( OFD ) must have incorrectly just ASSumed you all wanted to be firemonkeys. Looks good on him.

Kudos to those that said screw'em.

=D> They ( OFD ) must have incorrectly just ASSumed you all wanted to be firemonkeys. Looks good on him.

Kudos to those that said screw'em.

LOL! Yeah, it's funny how they all think everybody really wants to be just like them. There's a real arrogant elitism within the fire service, but especially in places like Floridia and Kalifornia.

That's cool that you can actually get hired without being a firemonkey if you get a medical waiver though. Do they have an age limit? :lol:

LOL! Yeah, it's funny how they all think everybody really wants to be just like them. There's a real arrogant elitism within the fire service, but especially in places like Floridia and Kalifornia.

That's cool that you can actually get hired without being a firemonkey if you get a medical waiver though. Do they have an age limit? :lol:

There's a catch... those trucks are 40 hour a week 12 hour shift trucks. They are only in place as a transition thing, and will be phazed out with time...

There's a catch... those trucks are 40 hour a week 12 hour shift trucks. They are only in place as a transition thing, and will be phazed out with time...

Why is that a catch? And phased into what? I don't understand.

And I also don't understand how you can work a 40 hour shift in 12-hour increments. It'll come out to either 36 or 48 hours.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.