EMS "bunker" type gear.

It's duck, not duct, lol. :duckie:

But I agree, if it's not fire resistant, then it's next to useless. The most common situation you would need it for would be extrication, and every extrication presents a fire hazard. That's why SOPs specify a charged hose line standing by.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work full-time for a county EMS service in Central Ohio, and we have "Bunker" style turnout gear issued to all of our full-time personnel, and we carry extra at the stations for the part-time personnel. Some of the fire chiefs that we run with in the Southern part of our district talked to our chief, and expressed concern over is getting into a vehicle involved in an auto extrication without proper gear. We have to wear it on any auto accident, or technical rescue. We got the Fire-Dex gear and Bullard helmets. It isn't a law in Ohio though.

I have the Globe gear that you're talking about Flasurfbum. My department ordered it for all the EMS only people. The guys who do fire and occasional EMS still have get to wear their firefighting gear.

I love the Globe gear, its hella durable and in the snow it keeps you warm and dry. It even has a removable fleece liner that you can take out when the weather gets warmer!

The service i worked for in pittsburgh issued it to us, but they always thought it funny when i would put it on, bunker gear doesnt come in kids sizes...

just a thought.

Stitch

it wasnt mandatory to wear, but we had to have a size that ( almost ) fit the crew in the truck at all times... one for the EMT, one for the medic.

Stitch

It is provided for us where I work. There is a policy that states you must wear it during extrications. That's the city covering their butt. Few folks put it on the truck in the morning, fewer still have complete sets. I wore my helmet today (first time in about a year) during an extrication.

i wouldnt wear it at all, is it manditory ? :?

Mandatory, no.

It is merely an insurance policy I took to ensure, God forbid a flash fire occurs while I am attending to a pt in a wrecked vehicle, or a chemical is splashed on me, I have protection greater then my uniform would provide.

Why wear a seatbelt?

Why get health insurance?

Cause ya never know! :wink:

Our current service actually issues us:

Bunker Coat

Bunker Pants (suspenders if needed)

Extrication Gloves

Heavy duty helmet w/ flashlight

Fireproof/waterproof/whatever proof rubber type boots

Heavy Duty Rain coat

Rain Pants

Winter Coat

All i've ever worn was the rain coat and winter jacket

Here in PA (I'm around the Pittsburgh area). It can varie from Department to department. However it is required in my department. We as well as EMS do fire suppression. So most of us are outfitted with a set of bunker gear. There are a few of our guys who do EMS only and we require at the very least an extrication suite. We require it for all Fire responces and MVC's. I agree with you. Wackers are wackers. But it's all about protecting ourselves

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.