I need help with EMT B Chapter tests

I JUST STARTED TAKEING EMT-B CLASS AND IM HAVING A HARD TIME WITH THE TEST I HAVE ALL IN MY HEAD BUT WHEN IT COMES TO THE CHAPTER TEST I BOMB. I DON'T WANT TO GIVE UP BECAUSE I KNOW I CAN DO IT. ANY SUGGESTION'S

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first suggestion - turn off your all caps.

as for taking the test, get a study guide and take the tests.

Have your gal pal or guy pal whichever you prefer make the environment as close to a test environment as possible. Then take the test and see what happens.

some people just don't do well taking the tests.

If you have some sort of learning disability then your school should make some sort of arrangements to help you in your test taking but if you have no disability then you need to take the test like everyone else.

Here is the issue i do have a learning disability. I have explained that to my teacher and doesn't matter. My father has taught EEMT-B and other's and told me to tell the teacher from the start witch i did and he told me that the state of New Hampshire will not give oral test because you have to read write and perform all thats in the class witch i have no problem except for the paper exam oral no problem piece of cake. What do I do now.

What do I do now.

Ask for a refund and cut your losses. While I agree that we have a responsibility to accommodate different learning styles, you are not talking about a learning problem. You are talking about an inability to meet the standards. If you are unable to read, understand, and articulate medical and scientific principles, you will be unable to practise competently. We're not talking about a merit badge here. We're talking about you taking personal responsibility for human lives at their most fragile and vulnerable point. If there is some way to facilitate your learning to meet the standard, then wonderful. But changing the standards to meet your level of comprehension is not an option.

Are you able to determine why it is that you are having a problem? Are you positive that you are fully and comprehensively understanding the concepts being presented to you? Oral exams are not the same as written exams, even if it is the same questions. With many patients, you get no oral clues. You simply have to read their body and make a diagnosis based upon that reading. If you can't do that on paper, you can't do it in the field either.

If you think that is something you can do with help, then there is help available. Well, at least there should be, assuming that you are attending an accredited college programme, and not some fly-by-night, mom and pop EMT factory at the local VFD hall. Check with the student services office. They should have professional educators (as in people with Masters and Doctorate degrees in adult education, not some EMT with a weekend instructors course) on staff who are capable of advising you on methods and skills for coping with the learning disability. That's what they are there for. Chances of you finding anybody within the EMS, nursing, or health occupations department of the college who have that capability are slim to none.

Also, how much time are you devoting to this? Are you just going to the class and expecting all this to sink in through osmosis? Or are you going home and spending four hours a day, every day, studying the material, alone and with a study buddy, in an attempt to get this done? Are a job and husband and kids preventing you from devoting the proper time and attention to the task? If so, then the timing simply isn't right for you. Come back when the nest is empty and you have more time to do the job right.

If after all attempts you are unable to handle the programme, that's not necessarily a reflection on your intelligence or commitment. In many cases, it simply says that this isn't the field for you. A lot of really, really smart people flunk out of medical school. They're not stupid. This simply is not the field that is well suited to their particular vocational aptitude. Same thing applies to EMT school.

I hope it works out for you. But if not, don't get all obsessive about it. It's no big deal. It's not like there is any kind of career or even decent paying job to be had as an EMT anyhow. You have no obligation to follow in your father's footsteps. Move on and find something that is more up your alley.

Good luck!

Here is the issue i do have a learning disability. I have explained that to my teacher and doesn't matter. My father has taught EEMT-B and other's and told me to tell the teacher from the start witch i did and he told me that the state of New Hampshire will not give oral test because you have to read write and perform all thats in the class witch i have no problem except for the paper exam oral no problem piece of cake. What do I do now.

So what is it that you're having trouble with? The reading and comprehending? What exactly is the learning disability?

I agree wholeheartedly with Dust but he said it better.

I from the get go with your initial post knew that there was some sort of learning disability there. I think it had to do with spelling, grammar and all caps

There is nothing that anyone can really add to dust's post. He basically said it all.

the questions Dust asked are how much are you studying, per night? Very valid question.

The other question asked, what is your learning disability?

I hope you can get thru the class but if you can't don't look at it as a personal failing, look at it as 400 or 500 bucks well spent. If someone can't get thru emt school then what makes them think they could get thru medic school. With or without a learning disability if you can't fill the requirements of the class or the job then like dust said, you should not be doing the job.

There are aids out there to help you through class but you have to work extra hard.

Look on the bright side, if you pass the class with all the effort it takes for you to address your disability and such, then think of how proud you will be and it's a tremendous self esteem builder.

Good luck.

Go through the chapter, highlight the things you need to know, to answer the questions in your workbook. This should help you with the end of Chapter tests, for the class.

I dunno what kind of book (brady/etc) that you use. Some have the first word in the paragraph that is important to remember, set in bold type. That should be a clue of what to begin to high light. You could also try to make a chart on large poster board. Write down specific things you need to know, or that you have trouble memorizing.

Those are just some basic study techniques that help in any course of study. One of the nice things about EMS courses, albeit expensive, is that the books are yours to write in, etc.

I agree completely with Dust. If you absolutely cannot pass the Basic class, then being an EMT just isn't right for you. Imagine what would happen when you went for your Medic?

I don't believe it's anyone's intention to tell you that you can't do it. I have always been one to tell everyone they can do anything they set their minds to. What you may want to do is take some time to figure out a strategy that helps you retain information and perhaps relax during tests. I understand about the written tests, they can be very stressful and oftentimes a simple question seems very difficult only because of the position you're placed in. But it will become much more difficult in the field, and if the written test is kicking your rear end, a dying patient will multiply the stress level tenfold.

You have to figure out what works for you and you alone. In the end, it has to be you that passes the class, not the instructor passing you. Obtaining your certification because of a technicality will not earn you respect on a service, and more importantly it will not benefit your patients.

I honestly and sincerely hope that you are able to overcome this obstacle and progress in this career, as I'm sure we all would be quick to welcome you aboard. Just be sure you're getting into it for the right reasons, and never be satisfied with the amount of education you've received, always strive for more. Your knowledge will save your patients.

Good luck. I wish you all the best.

I don't believe it's anyone's intention to tell you that you can't do it. I have always been one to tell everyone they can do anything they set their minds to.

Thanks for making that point, because that is absolutely correct. I'm the last person to tell anybody that they can't do something. I'm the guy who was told by his high school guidance counsellor to not even waste my time applying for college and to consider truck driving school, because I wasn't college material. I'm the one that everybody told not to waste any time trying to be a cop for firemonkey, because I was too small to do the job. Same thing with the military. Three decades and three college degrees later, they can all kiss my arse, because I succeeded at all of the things they said I couldn't do. So even if somebody does tell you that you can't do something, don't get pissed. Get even. Prove them wrong.

My only point in the previous post is that there comes a point when YOU PERSONALLY have to be honest with yourself and evaluate your own potential and progress and admit to yourself when indeed you cannot achieve something. And in medicine -- which EMS is -- that is particularly important. There are a lot of complete idiots who pass EMT school. It's a three week first aid course written and taught at the grade eight level. But simply graduating that course does not in any way mean you are cut out for practising in the field. People who make it by the skin of their teeth are not doing anybody any favours by actually taking to the field. Even the best students come out of EMT school completely inadequate, so if you come out of there less than confident, you're starting of way behind the eight ball. So again, be honest with yourself. If you're in there just hoping that you can make a 70 and pass, it's time to evaluate if this is really your cup of tea, pass or not.

By all means though, go to the professionals. Go to student services. They do have resources for you. It may not come in time to help you with this course, but this certainly isn't the last EMT course on earth either. Again, good luck!

Hey....I am in NH too...where are you taking your class? Please let me know what kind of books/etc you have for your class....Once I know what books you have, I might be able to give you some suggestions as to how best to study. If nothing else, we can possibly try to talk on the phone sometime to see whats what....

Whatever you do....don't give up if this is something you really want. I watched a lot of my fellow EMTB classmates walk out (which by the way was NOT only a 3 week class!!), and give up completely....only to realize later that they should have stuck with it. I am in the intermediate course now, and it is much harder than the basic class....w/b to me, and let me know, hope this helps??