Peds Trauma

I had a call for a 1 month old who fell out of a bed (?). She fell approximately 2.5 feet. Not 1.5 times height but I still treated as a trauma as piece of ______ mother did not witness fall. We have nothing to immobilize someone this small.

How would you have immobilized PT. I put rolled towels around torso and head and strapped to the backboard. This did not work and really pissed this kid off. Man babies are strong!

Any ideas or things that worked for you? Are there products I could show to my EMS officer?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

If you are serious about immobilizing the infant, they have specialty devices out there called papoose boards. I think a company by the name of Jerome markets them. I can't see keeping many of these around, although they are nice for immobilization.

An alternative is to pad the shoulders, use a KED device to immobilize the infant. The disadvantage is that it limits the access to the infant for assessment, and IV access is also limited as the arms are bound in the KED.

I have used swaddling with blankets, padding the shoulders, and using towel rolls around the head and body...with good results. Most infants will relax and quiet down with the swaddling. spend some time in L&D if they will allow to get a technique down, can be tricky at first...especially with squirming babys.

The Broslow/Jerome papoose is nice, but cost money. The KED is in your truck already, most likely. I prefer the papoose, but I have been relegated to using the swaddle method quite often. It is cost effective and does the job quite well if you carry small blankets, or large towels on your truck.

It is going to depend on your comfort level with pediatric patients, and what you are allowed to do by your supervision.

Papoose board

Just in case: The padding under the shoulders is to maintain optimum airway angle...BIG occiput and all...FYI :)

An alternative is to pad the shoulders, use a KED device to immobilize the infant. The disadvantage is that it limits the access to the infant for assessment, and IV access is also limited as the arms are bound in the KED.

The one time I had to do this during clinicals we used the KED, but the medic rolled the sides backwards until there was a channel that they baby lay in. It was used more like a backboard, but it supported the sides of the child as well and the arms were left free.

Baby was padded and taped into the KED, the KED was taped to the backboard, and then the backboard secured normally with straps to the cot.

It appeared very secure to me...

Dwayne

Those are excellent ideas. I have not yet seen the papoose, only the KED. I had a very similar incident and used the same method as gaelicfirefighter coupled with the blankets and had a decent outcome, except for the screaming lol.

The one we use is a Pedi Pac by Ferno, but it is geared more for like 2yrs & up. I did find this Medkids® Pedi-Sleeve by Ferno and it is for use with infants. Not sure how costly that would be for your department.

www.ferno.com

They have a peds immobilization page that lists the Medkids stuff.

Also do not forget you can always just immobilize them in a car seat.

This is suggested for those patients that are found in a car seat prior to immobilization. The car seat also can't be damaged from the impact of the incident.

If the child is out of the seat, or the seat is structurally damaged, don't bother using it.

Believe me, a KED is perfect for ped. traumas. Works great as a papoose board too if you have a "squirmer" on your hands.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.