substance abuse in ems

well actually that is not limited to fire unions -- most private companies will not report to future employers or licensing bureaus out of fear of litigation (either because employee discipline is supposed to be confidential or because their addiction is a disease and reporting it to outside people could be a hippa violation). Let me throw this one at you, as this is common. An employee is on three different psych drugs that have been prescribed by their doctor. They are obviously altered by the meds (more drowsy, more zoned out, more moody), but they have a prescription. What do you do with them ?

well actually that is not limited to fire unions -- most private companies will not report to future employers or licensing bureaus out of fear of litigation (either because employee discipline is supposed to be confidential or because their addiction is a disease and reporting it to outside people could be a hippa violation). Let me throw this one at you, as this is common. An employee is on three different psych drugs that have been prescribed by their doctor. They are obviously altered by the meds (more drowsy, more zoned out, more moody), but they have a prescription. What do you do with them ?

Policy book should cover being impaired on duty whether legally or illegally is grounds for dismissal. If a person is that messed up and has to have so much medication that they can not function, sorry time for a new job.

Policy book should cover being impaired on duty whether legally or illegally is grounds for dismissal. If a person is that messed up and has to have so much medication that they can not function, sorry time for a new job.

This is true, but what if some of the meds are temp, then I guess they can do some light duty office work, or help restock the rigs.

Is it the BIG ambulance corparations that do this or the small mom and pop ones, Also in cities, and counties if you radomly drug test the fire department, I gues you have to drug test secrataries, park and rec folks, council/board members, I don't know I guess the list can go on. Do you If they drug test in the hospital for RN's and other healthcare workers?

I see private, city, county, state, and federal agencys that do not even work with dangerous equipment or drugs getting random drug tests. Honestly drug testing could be segragated to only fields that would potentially endanger the public by ones being impaired, but most do test all employees.

Did I say how idiotic the fire unions are for not holding their members to an even higher standard? While I had very little respect for the fire unions ,I now have none if what you say is true.

This is true, but what if some of the meds are temp, then I guess they can do some light duty office work, or help restock the rigs.

If you inform the service most seem willing to find something for you to do or to let you take sick leave/vacation/etc. But if longer than a few days maybe weeks sorry you are no longer fit to perform the dutys required by your job, bye/bye.

I see private, city, county, state, and federal agencys that do not even work with dangerous equipment or drugs getting random drug tests. Honestly drug testing could be segragated to only fields that would potentially endanger the public by ones being impaired, but most do test all employees.

Did I say how idiotic the fire unions are for not holding their members to an even higher standard? While I had very little respect for the fire unions ,I now have none if what you say is true.

Well unfortunatley, many recruitment flyers anounce upon hire the canidate must pass a drug test, they do not ssay anything about random testing (West Coast FD's)

Good points, but i didnt say the person on psych drugs wasnt able to perform-- i am sure you have seen this guy or gal somewhere -- sunglasses on in the station, asleep by 10am, up all night --- not friendly, not very talkative, very moody --- when the bell rings they go, but if you get on to them about sleeping or being lazy, its "i am sorry, its these drugs i am on".

Well unfortunatley, many recruitment flyers anounce upon hire the canidate must pass a drug test, they do not ssay anything about random testing (West Coast FD's)

They don't have to advertise random testing. You just have to be informed when hired or when the service implements it. Saw a place start random drug testing and had 10 or 11 people quit w/o ever getting tested and a few failed testing and soon were out as well. They gave 60 or 90 days notice before it went into effect but I guess some like the drugs more than the pay check.

Good points, but i didnt say the person on psych drugs wasnt able to perform-- i am sure you have seen this guy or gal somewhere -- sunglasses on in the station, asleep by 10am, up all night --- not friendly, not very talkative, very moody --- when the bell rings they go, but if you get on to them about sleeping or being lazy, its "i am sorry, its these drugs i am on".

If he person does there job w/o endangering anyones safety, then the prescription drugs are not a problem unless you have to put with them. But if the drugs alter reaction times, etc then they endanger me and patients so they are out if they have to take them.

Not so fast spenac ---- a person with a mental disorder falls under the Americans with Disabilities Act -- plus there is a good chance their lawyer can make the case that it is the job that caused the problem --- in your system, how would you define slowed reaction times (especially if its an EMT) --- and once you do find they are 30 seconds slower to get to a call --- do you remember the crew that slept through the first tone one time, that you didnt fire ----- or the medics who wrecked a truck that you didnt fire.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.