Anyone tried EMDR?

Just wondering if anyone here has tried therapy with the use of EMDR? If you have, what were your experiences and thoughts on this? Especially related to PTSD

THanks for any help.

I know a number of therapists, clinical psychotherapists, and psychiatrists who use EMDR and similar treatment modalities who claim very good success with a number of patients. I've been hearing more and more about it (so it's either a rising fad or an emerging treatment).

Based on what I've heard about it, if I were suffering from PTSD, it would be my treatment of choice.

I just had my first treatment with EMDR today. I think it may have helped a little already. He said that it often works very quickly. The one thing that really appealed to me is that it makes your own mind heal itself. It puts all the scattered pieces back into the proper places in the brain. I am hoping that this is what I need to be able to get over my issues that I have with a call I did 2 months ago and some other work related stress that I have gone through.

I hope that continues to work for you.

One thing to remember is not to let yourself dwell on what happened so much that you re-create the PTSD based on re-living the memories. Great time to create new habits and beliefs about what happened and how that relates to yourself...do it all at once to make it stick. Reframing of events that have happened might help, as well (if you somehow blame yourself for what happened).

LOL it is so funny that you should say that about me blaming myself Anthony. I know in my head that there was nothing that could have been done differently that would have changed the outcome of the call. However, I still feel responsible for some reason. The psychologist said that he was pretty sure that I would be able to change my way of thinking this way. It may also help with the distortion of time perception that I am having. I think that is one of the biggest parts of my problem.

Thanks for the input

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.