ER Access Keypads- Opinions?

I find it interesting that, while we glove up for almost everything, does anyone have any protection against the Emergency Room accessing keypad, that one punches in a code to open the doors? The keypads have probably got the most disgusting collection of who knows what, due to every ambulance crew coming into that ER, not to mention civilians who access the building via that doorway, spreading the collection of who knows what to who knows where, on the hands of whoever pushed those keys on the numbers keypad. While I have seen the housekeeping staff clean blood and vomitus off of bathroom fixtures, walls, floors, and due to a projectile vomiting episode, even the ceiling, but I have never seen them clean the keys on that keypad.

(Also, couldn't the folks who program the keypads think of a better code than "911*" or "911#"? DUH! Even the dumbest of the dumb could figure that one out.)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it interesting that, while we glove up for almost everything, does anyone have any protection against the Emergency Room accessing keypad, that one punches in a code to open the doors? The keypads have probably got the most disgusting collection of who knows what, due to every ambulance crew coming into that ER, not to mention civilians who access the building via that doorway, spreading the collection of who knows what to who knows where, on the hands of whoever pushed those keys on the numbers keypad. While I have seen the housekeeping staff clean blood and vomitus off of bathroom fixtures, walls, floors, and due to a projectile vomiting episode, even the ceiling, but I have never seen them clean the keys on that keypad.

(Also, couldn't the folks who program the keypads think of a better code than "911*" or "911#"? DUH! Even the dumbest of the dumb could figure that one out.)

Richard, Good point! Now you got me thinking... and as for door codes, a few hospitals use taht here or teh "0911#" code, but yes it is kinda dumb to use, but easier for us, I have a pad with all teh codes written on it.

If I'm driving, I put a new pair of gloves on as I open the back doors. I'll need them either for the gurney, the keypad, or the vitals machine in the ED. If I'm in the back, I might not re-glove (provided I've deconned my gurney and no bodily fluids were on that call and push the back...aka not the one who inputs the keycode).

On my way out, I usually use my elbow to activate the doors or push them open. I hate touching keypads, VS stand, or door open buttons without gloves...eww.

Oh, and around here our codes vary... they often have 911 in them, but it might be preceded by a zero or pound or repetition of one of the numbers...so if you're a new hospital, you may actually figure it out by trying every code you know...but most random people won't.

And some hospitals with the totally random codes often have them written somewhere obscure so you can check if you forgot.

Oh, and around here our codes vary... they often have 911 in them, but it might be preceded by a zero or pound or repetition of one of the numbers...so if you're a new hospital, you may actually figure it out by trying every code you know...but most random people won't.

And some hospitals with the totally random codes often have them written somewhere obscure so you can check if you forgot.

Let's not forget the code about the ER being crazy.

I've seen some hospitals use the number we use to 'dial' their ED as a code. Makes more sense. How many of you know that many gated apartment complexes use 911 as a default code? Don't worry the thieves already know this.

Let's not forget the code about the ER being crazy.
Oh of course not...was going to mention it but has less meaning for non Californians... (though I have heard it mentioned in rap songs and an episode of Hanging With Mr. Cooper!)

I don't think I've come across a hospital here with the code of "911" or anything like that. Our codes for each hospital is its numerical designation given to it by the state. So if I were in route to "123" the ED door code would be something like, "123#" or "123*"

It gets confusing sometimes but most services have a list of the hospitals and their corresponding codes written on a sheet of paper tucked inside the clipboard.

I find the whole idea of the keycode silly. If I'm a bad guy and I want in, I'll just wait for the next person who enters through the door and follow them in. In most hospitals that door opens at least a couple times every few minutes. Also, how many of you notice that the numbers for the code are worn down when compared with the other numbers? Not too flippin' hard to figure out the code then.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.