F Class Driver's License

Hi everyone!

I'm new to these forums so I hope I'm not reasking a question that has been brought up before, because I couldn't find it under the search. I'm from Toronto, Ontario and I've been accepted into a paramedic program for the fall. I need to get my F Driver's license in the next couple of months so I hopped online and found two trucking sites that list they offer F Class training. Metro Trucking and Great Truck Driving School. (Well I did find one other course, but it was for twice the amount for less training specified verses the other two companies) So I was wondering if anyone in the GTA area could lend me their expertise or experience with the trucking schools here or just obtaining your F Class license in general. Please and thanks!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did mine with Metro. I haven't even heard of the other place that you mention so I can't really comment on them. Metro seems to be entirely focused on getting you to pass the test (rather than actually teaching any skills for driving larger vehicles... this may be a good thing or a bad thing). The F class test is not hard and you will almost surely pass when you do it through one of the driving schools. Which college will you be attending?

Oh, that's good to hear! lol I was a little worried because of the time constraint but mostly the money factor. Since they did mention it's also another .40 per km on top of their cheapest package. Also, everyone that I spoke to, that already obtained theirs, didn't do it in the GTA either, so I'm glad to have found this forum! I'll be going to St. Lawrence College. Thanks for your input!!

• 1 month later...

you're right. You can do the F testing if you have a G license - without lessons. It's just a personal decision to choose to take the driving course. Majority of ppl that I know that are going into paramedics in the fall and students from prior years have taken lessons. I also know some who haven't taken any lessons at all. For me it was a personal choice of wanting to learn through an instructor so that I am prepared for the test, that's all.

"F" Class?

Must be a Canadian thing, that needs translating on the US side of the international border.

Is the "F" class drivers license similar to a Commercial Driver's License, like what you might need to drive a Greyhound Interstate Bus a Mayflower Moving Van, or the special one for heavy equipment, like a construction crane or "backhoe" earth-mover?

Or is it something akin to an "unclassified" chauffeur's license, indicating the bearer uses the licence to drive a taxi, basically earning a living with said license?

F class is an Ontario class of license for driving an ambulance or a short bus (less than 24 passengers? not sure on the exact number off the top of my head) not for school purposes.

you're right. You can do the F testing if you have a G license - without lessons. It's just a personal decision to choose to take the driving course. Majority of ppl that I know that are going into paramedics in the fall and students from prior years have taken lessons. I also know some who haven't taken any lessons at all. For me it was a personal choice of wanting to learn through an instructor so that I am prepared for the test, that's all.

Just to add to reasons that people spend the money on a driving school... for many paramedic students (i.e. the young ones) it is difficult if not impossible to find a place that will rent them a van for the test. This creates a situation where there isn't really much of a choice in the matter.

sorta! lol here in ontario there are 15 different license classes and each one qualifies you to drive a different type of vehicle. All licenses other than G and M are called controlled class or classified licenses. So for us just to drive a regular vehicle you have to have a G license. To be able to drive a small bus w/ max 24 passengers or ambulance you have to have your G license and apply for a classified F license. For us, the only time you don't need a G license is when you are applying for an M license for motorcycles. I have no idea what chaffeurs need, in the case of stretch limos and the such, but I would assume you would have to get a classified license? I don't know but thankfully I don't have to worry about that, lol.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.