Redundant Fire and EMS response in Florida

No, a rescue in FL can be any of those things, not just that pickup with supplies.

The counties I worked for and the municipalities within those counties all referred to an ambulance as a "rescue".

The term is going to vary by department or geographical location.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is great that the county is realizing that they are sending too many units on calls.

One area I work in sends the FD to quite a few calls. Every time the FD shows up they do not contribute anything to the call that my partner and I cannot do. For the occasional patient, the FD is helpful because of the shear size of the patient, but for the majority of our calls I have no use for the fire department showing up.

The only times I have ever been truly grateful to have FD backup has been when we have a heavy patient and when we need a driver.

I would rather not see them on cardiac arrest cases. With the autopulse or some equipment like it, that eliminates the FD. I know everyone says they need to respond for initial CPR and defibrillation, but I do not remember in any book of life, or our constitution where when we die we are guaranteed CPR and defibrillation in less than 5 minutes. But this is a topic probably for another thread.

In my honest opinion, the system is set up so that FD will respond first for the all so mighty "cardiac arrest." Those calls account for a very small percentage of what we do. I think it is more important to base our system on the people we help most. Where we need to focus is on the points where we help the patients who have decreased hospital times because of our treatments, where we save the health care field money because our initial treatment fixes a problem early.

Oh, and I am sick and tired of the FD leaving their gloves on the floor in the back of my truck. We get yelled at if we leave a dirty dish in the sink, but no, you're gold because you help US, so you can leave your filth on our floors, sorrry, it just does not stand.

Just a little rant.

Matt

I have actually never heard of anything other then a Firefighter staffed ambulance being referred to as a Rescue here in Fla, and I have traveled to many other areas outside my little area. Heavy Rescue, Squad, and Utility, but not just Rescue.

Mateo, you are saying you would rather work a code by yourself, the accept help from the FD?? :roll: Yea, if I am down due to cardiac arrest, hold the FD, lets wait for EMS to get there. I mean, unless its a Paramedic doing CPR or Defibrilliation on me, its not good. :roll:

Yea, if I am down due to cardiac arrest, hold the FD, lets wait for EMS to get there. I mean, unless its a Paramedic doing CPR or Defibrilliation on me, its not good. :roll:

The point is that if we "hold the FD", more than enough money is saved to apply to staffing more ambulances, which would have a much more significant impact on your survival than first responders.

Mateo, you are saying you would rather work a code by yourself, the accept help from the FD?? :roll: Yea, if I am down due to cardiac arrest, hold the FD, lets wait for EMS to get there. I mean, unless its a Paramedic doing CPR or Defibrilliation on me, its not good. :roll:

Help during a code is great. My point is that with equipment like an auto pulse, quick IO access, meds that you pop off tops and screw, and a ventilator, a fire crew is not necessary. If I have this equipment, then I do not want the fire department there. They would not be able to add anything to the call at that point. After the auto pulse would be applied the FD would not have any more tasks. So why not have a paramedic start CPR and the other get the auto pulse on? All other tasks as this point are paramedic skills (monitor, drugs, intubation) This would save the FD from having to come. It leaves them open to take a fire call.

Above is only one example. I do not want to take away from what the big picture was. The big picture is that for 99% of the calls I go on, I do not need FD assistance. Granted it is nice to have a little extra man power, but it is a waste to send a whole engine just to have some extra hands to move the patient or carry equipment. All the calls I go on the fire department is of no use as a medical provider.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.