Pre-EMT Class

LT.Cook

Has anyone heard of a pre-emt class, what is covered, how long is the class.

Yes. Most colleges call it "Human Anatomy & Pysiology I" and "Human Anatomy & Physiology II". It covers all the scientific fundamentals that anybody who is taking human lives in their uneducated hands should know before doing so. It lasts two semesters, although you can also pack it into two summer sessions too.

Thirty-five years ago, many schools treated EMT school as a progression from Red Cross First Aid, so that and CPR were pre-requisites. It made sense at the time, but I truly hope that we have progressed beyond 1973 by now.

Never heard of or seen any point in a pre-course for EMRs. Never seen much point in EMRs themselves, for that matter, lol.

Are you looking to increase the standards for your school?

There are some NR test prep classes around Dallas-Fort Worth. I thought you were talking about something to prepare you for the class, not just for the test.

If it takes an extra 24 hour class for your people to pass that test, I think that adding 24 hours to your curriculum would be a better investment than sending people to a test-prep course. I'd rather my people actually understand the medical concepts of practice than just know the right answers to the test questions. But that's just me, I guess.

There are some NR test prep classes around Dallas-Fort Worth. I thought you were talking about something to prepare you for the class, not just for the test.

If it takes an extra 24 hour class for your people to pass that test, I think that adding 24 hours to your curriculum would be a better investment than sending people to a test-prep course. I'd rather my people actually understand the medical concepts of practice than just know the right answers to the test questions. But that's just me, I guess.

I have noticed that here in Alberta Canada there are classes you take after taking your PCP (emt) that prepare you for the Provincial Registration Exam. (Sounds similar to NREMT)

Don't ya think that is a school admitting they suck?

I took the AB provincial exam 2 years after my PCP course with no "Preperation course", or any other nonsence and passed with flying colors. In fact out of over 350 students I had the fastest scenario times of the day!

If you finish school then fail some national/provincial exam..... Your school has failed you.

Following up on Dust Devil's first comment, here in New York State, in 1974, we had to have the prerequisite of American Red Cross "Basic" and "Advanced" First Aid, and either ARC or American Heart Association CPR, before we were allowed to take the 45 hour long EMT class. Every 3 years, the refresher class was 25 hours.

Nowadays, the initial EMT class is at least 125 hours long, and includes Albuterol and Defibrillation protocols, which were not in place back in 1974. If still in a 3 year certification EMT program, the refresher is now 45 hours.

We are in the process, statewide, of implementing a 5 Year, Continuing Medical Education "refresher", instead of the 3 year "cert" previously used.