Rig staffed with Medic and EMT

A guy I worked with the other day (an EMT) said he thought it might be a good idea to get rid of the BLS rigs in Chicago as it would make more sense and not cost more to make them all ALS. I agree with that statement. But he said that the city should staff the rigs with one EMT and one Medic. What are your thoughts on having this type of staffing in an urban area with short transport times. I dont necessarily like that idea. There are things as an EMT I canot do and I thought it would greatly hinder pt care as I could legally not do things to help my partner. And I said to him, then if there are no BLS rigs, why not just make them all ALS with Medics. As a firefighter/emt-b, I make more than a medic and this would cost the city less money. Do any of you have an emt-b and an emt-p staffed on the rig. Pros and Cons?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"As a firefighter/emt-b, I make more than a medic and this would cost the city less money"

Typical....

Why pay a firefighter/basic 50k per year to run medicals all day when we could pay medics 35k per year while we get to sit on our ass all day at the huge new expensive fire station and train to fight that 1 real "FIRE" we will get this month.

Hell we could even put these "medic's" in these things called ambulance's that cost a lot less then our million dollar truck that gets 4 miles to the gallon and has about 10 total hours on the water pump. !!!

Your right....You just solved your cities EMS problem.

Sounds like a great fire department idea to me.

What the christ are you talking about AK? I was asking what your thoughts are. If you dont like the question, dont answer.

I am not going to post on this forum portion of this site again. I asked an honest question and all I got was a bunch of people crying about their circumstances. If you dont like your job - QUIT! I thought this was a forum to ask an honest question and get honest answers. Instead, I was basically told that medics do all the work and us firemen just sit in our expensive firehouses next to our expensive trucks and sit around all day. Unless you are on my shift, in my house and on my dept, keep your mouth shut. Just because your dept sucks dont assume mine does. You have no clue.

The motto is bringing us together. Ya right.

At my now primary job we run some P/B ambulances. The problem that comes up is the paramedic is stuck making all serious decisions by themselves. We also run some I/B and P/I. But the problem is always the highest level gets stuck making all weighty decisions.

The goal is to get all ambulances staffed by at least 1 paramedic by end of the year. Then the push begins to get all ambulances staffed P/P.

I don't get why an emt-b ff gets paid more than a medic. Doesn't make much sense to me. Sounds like a bunch of emt/ff's would rather not ride the box, and by staffing it with 2 lesser paid medics(?) you would save money and spend all your time on an engine or ladder. For some reason I thought you were a dual role dept, i.e medics and emt's were all ff's, apparently not. Seperate agencies might be a move in the right direction. Just an opinion, take it for what its worth.

What the christ are you talking about AK? I was asking what your thoughts are. If you dont like the question, dont answer.

Man, I'm glad we got that worked out. A suggestion though. Ak responded in defense of your post based on your positive posting history, perhaps next time taking that into consideration will help avoid this type of response.

I am not going to post on this forum portion of this site again. I asked an honest question and all I got was a bunch of people crying about their circumstances. If you dont like your job - QUIT! I thought this was a forum to ask an honest question and get honest answers.

At his point I'm honestly wondering if you left your computer logged on and someone else posted under your name? This just doesn't sound like you, but if it is....step away from the caffeine, man, and no one needs to get hurt! :wink:

Instead, I was basically told that medics do all the work and us firemen just sit in our expensive firehouses next to our expensive trucks and sit around all day.

Which is why ak stepped in to attempt to keep the thread on track.

Unless you are on my shift, in my house and on my dept, keep your mouth shut.

I think you just limited your pool of people to learn from and teach to to....One? This was a terribly foolish statement. I'd expect if from one of the wah baby n00bs...but not from you.

Just because your dept sucks dont assume mine does. You have no clue.

National average says that your dept does the same as most of the others...runs medical calls and begs for a fire. Unless you happen to live in a neighborhood that is perpetually burning down, it's not so different from the others. Not your fault, it's the way things are. But yeah...we do pretty much have a clue.

The motto is bringing us together. Ya right.

Nice to see that you did your part to bring everyone together today. What is up with you today by the way? You seem way off in the ditch.

Ok then...having said that, I guess I don't understand the question. So you do have b/b rigs now and think they should go away? Is the city looking at creating p/b rigs separate from the fire dept? Who runs EMS now?

Maybe I should know this, but after rereading your op I don't really get it...(This is me staying on track, just so you know. Sometimes it's not so obvious...)

Dwayne

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.