giving blood for the first time

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it is completely normal. You lost a quart of blood. Blood full of all kinds of goodies your body likes to have. You are feeling tired and dizzy because of this. Mostly because your body is not working to make up for the blood loss. You are dizzy for the simple reason of the lost nutrients that are in the blood, for instance sugar. Which is why they give you cookies. The cookies aren't a thank you for donating.

(please correct me if I am wrong, I am only assuming this out of common sense)

I remember when I first donated back in high school. A friend and myself were next to each other, and we raced to see who could fill the bag first. Bad idea, but it was fun at the time. My other friend got really sick, passed out a few times. Threw a few fists at a mean ole nurse. So we just took him to the senior lounge and hung out there all day. Ordered pizza, watched tv, had a blast :D

Anyway, you will feel better in a few hours. Eat a good meal, get some rest. Don't go off jogging or anything like that.

You lost a quart of blood.

Anyway, you will feel better in a few hours. Eat a good meal, get some rest. Don't go off jogging or anything like that.

1) A quart? Not the traditional pint? If more than the pint, no wonder you feel woozy.

2) Increase your fluid intake, primarily water, and remember, no smoking (if you do smoke, normally), and no alcoholic beverages until at least 12 hours after the donation.

I am kind of "old hand" at this, as I have donated over 3 gallons over the years. My mother has donated over 8 gallons.

I also have been the beneficiary of donated blood, from when I had the surgically corrected aneurysm/inbleed at my right femoral artery, secondary to the cardiac stent insertion.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.