Crock Calls

firedoc5

Have you ever been on a call that was a complete crock. We had one gal we ran on numerous times. She was either "unconscious" or "severe vomiting". We always proved she was faking the unconsciousness and came to the conclusion that she could make great home made puke. We'd even find the various canned vegetables and assorted other food products in the trash. She finally wised up at one point and walked out to the ambulance before we even got out. But you could tell that everything in her puke pan was not ingested or digested even a little.

Try calling it in and ask for a "Porcelain Level" to let the ER that it is a crock call.

Has she ever been worked up for Munchausen Syndrome?

I have seen and heard of similar in Pediatrics which can be Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy.

A few years ago there was a highly publicized case where the wife of an RT was tried for endangering her children with Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy. That case also involved fake vomit and a variety of induced symptoms that got one child several procedures including a couple of surgeries. That case walked the fine line of what can be mental illness and should it be jail time for child abuse or psychiatric institution for treatment.

It can become very serious depending on which level they want to continue their desire to be a patient that needs attention. The diagnosis is often missed for many years. Hypochrondria patients usually don't go that far and are aware they are exaggerating.

Yes, Munchausen was brought up. But she was a real nut ball on a daily basis according to witnesses. A lot of times she would do it because of something stressful, or even out of boredom. I know she "went away" for awhile. But I don't think Munchausen was ever determined, best of my knowledge"

Ya we have an old lady that we get called for for unconcious, a quick sternal rub later she is on her feet walking to the cot. Usually goes to hospital complaining if a headache. Doc gives her a shot and we take her home!

Yippeee

Yeah, we had this lady that kept calling in with chest pains and was "allergic" to nitro. It would give her a headache. Funniest thing about it was, while taking her in one night we noticed she had an elevated ST. Next thing she is unconcious for real.......................Well she got to heart cath in time, I just wonder how many we miss due to the "crying wolf" syndrome.

After this may not be so funny,

Michael

Yeah, we had this lady that kept calling in with chest pains and was "allergic" to nitro. It would give her a headache. Funniest thing about it was, while taking her in one night we noticed she had an elevated ST. Next thing she is unconcious for real.......................Well she got to heart cath in time, I just wonder how many we miss due to the "crying wolf" syndrome.

After this may not be so funny,

Michael

We tell many "patients" no we will not take you after we examine them.

You are right many of these cry wolf patients actually end up with something real but care is delayed because its just so and so, no worrys. We have to fight that inclination and play like all calls are real until complete examination. We always check completely before saying no and if any doubts go ahead and transport.

i had one who would go 3 or 4 times a week to the hospital with made up symptoms. she would go to the ER just to eat and then she would walk out and walk home. she lived in one of those roach motels on our tax money. one time she used the excuse that she didn't know how to apply her hemorrhoid cream. the squad and first responders tried to get her fined for 911 abuse but she didn't have any money (DUH) and once people started complaining of her poor living conditions and her stain on the 911 system the state finally got her the help she needed, she was placed in a psychiatric facility where she got three square meals, a clean shower, and someone to help her with her hemorrhoid cream.

If you want more info about an EMS that has developed an excellent Social Service referral system, give NiftyMedic911 a PM. Lee County, FL was one of the earlier pioneers in the Community Health area. I am not certain about what other additional services they are still performing.

i had one who would go 3 or 4 times a week to the hospital with made up symptoms. she would go to the ER just to eat and then she would walk out and walk home. she lived in one of those roach motels on our tax money. one time she used the excuse that she didn't know how to apply her hemorrhoid cream. the squad and first responders tried to get her fined for 911 abuse but she didn't have any money (DUH) and once people started complaining of her poor living conditions and her stain on the 911 system the state finally got her the help she needed, she was placed in a psychiatric facility where she got three square meals, a clean shower, and someone to help her with her hemorrhoid cream.

Gotta love a story with a happy ending.

we had a lady who constantly called 911. We sometimes got the address from Dispatch as Gracies House.

Almost all of our crews became complacent with her, didn't bring equipment in, made her walk to the cot and sometimes walk to the ambulance.

Funny thing is that she lived less than 500 feet from her favorite ER.

I heard from my wifes cousin who works in the system where Gracie lived that Gracie called 911 and said she had chest pain again. The crew walked in with no equipment and just the cot and Holy crapola batman, she's a code!!!!

Just goes to show that the majority of a patients BS calls that one can actually be a bona fide emergency. Gracie was dead. sniff sniff.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.