firetrucks and equipment

Being from a very rural area... Not every fire apparatus carries "EMS" equipment. See more simple kits for minor treatment, than anything.. Many companies, whether they have an ambulance nearby or not, have quick response certifications. The list includes basic medical and first aid equipment, airway control, oxygen, resuscitation and suction (powered) supplies, splints and an AED. Just stuff to try and keep the patient alive till an ambulance arrives.

Edited by 4c6

• 2 weeks later...

in the city where my full time EMS job is, the Indianapolis Fire Department responds with us on all A code calls. they carry an 02 bag with the standard equipment, an AED, and a trauma bag, on occasion the engine may have a medic on board and he supplements their equipment with a drug box that carries all the meds we have in marion county minus narcotics. Ladders carry the same equipment but also have C collars and a back board.

on My volly Fire Department in rural indiana, our Grass Rig is also our Primary EMS truck. On it, we carry a backboard C-collars, a stocked 02 bag, a trauma bag with all your necesities including oral glucose, and ASA and an AED. nothin super fancy, just enough to get the job done until the ambulance arrives. our engine also carries the same equip. while the tanker has none.

In Melbourne the State Ambulance Service has a program with the Metropolitan Fire Brigades called ‘Emergency Medical Response’. Pretty much encumbers a few pumpers in and around Melbourne who have an AED, 02 bag, collars and first aid kit who respond when the ambulance service have limited resources. On the whole there only called to cardiac arrests but sometimes turn out to other medical calls. The program is pretty much based around making targeted response times and making things look groovy on paper, I think it’s just putting a bandaid solution to a bigger problem…. But that’s another kettle of fish! I will admit there training is pretty good as far as basic life support is concerned.

Certainly in the country we have nothing like this, due to the OH&S regulations all fire appliances carry a first aid kit, picture a large fishing tackle box with basic supplies. First aid training is a little dilapidated, we’d be lucky if one in fifteen had a first aid qualification that hasn’t expired (there’s about 50,000 volunteers). Never the less, the paramedics are never far away and the powers at be are pretty good at getting a first aid crew from St John or Red Cross to hang around if it looks like a long job.

In Australia were lucky everyone sticks to what there names entails i.e. ambulance = medical, police = law enforcement, fire = fire suppression, rescue = rescuing people, hospital = doctors and nurses etc etc… Rarely is there a cross over…

i would like to know what firetrucks in rural areas can carry on there trucks as far as medical supplies to be able to meet there needs on the call until ems arrives

My Vol fire department has 3 BLS units in our station along with 12 other Fire trucks. 2 of our Heavy rescues carries everthing a BLS unit would have. About 30 out of 80 of our members are EMT-Bs 3 Are EMT-Ps

Edited by Albert.EMT-B

The New Zealand Fire-Rescue Service and the Professional Firefighters Uniin are both vhemontly against doing any form of medical call beyond first response in rural areas to categorised, high priority emergencies. They will carry a semi automatic defib, oxygen, bag mask and a resus/first aid pack.

Firefighters on first responder brigades are trained to First Responder level which is a three day course..

the UK FBU is against the fire service expanding into EMS provision beyond 'incidental' provision as part of rescue and providing good care for personnel injured on scene , although there are some fire services that do provide first responder assistance to the ambulance service - though it's often none FBU retained crews doing it.

That said a lot of services have full 'first responder' kit plus entonox and extrication / casualty handling kit on appliances as it;s considered part of 'rescue' to be able to provide some casualty care while awiating the EMS response ...

• 4 months later...

I'd like the same info as I'm the Training Officer for a new start-up fire department in Eastern Arizona. We have EMS assistance available from neighboring communities but response time can vary from 20 minutes to >1 hr, depending on weather conditions. It is also possible that during severe snow storms we may be the only responders who can get to our mountain cabin dwellers. This could require some level of medical assistance/stabilization until we can get the victims to a passable road or waiting ambulance.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

I'd like the same info as I'm the Training Officer for a new start-up fire department in Eastern Arizona. We have EMS assistance available from neighboring communities but response time can vary from 20 minutes to >1 hr, depending on weather conditions. It is also possible that during severe snow storms we may be the only responders who can get to our mountain cabin dwellers. This could require some level of medical assistance/stabilization until we can get the victims to a passable road or waiting ambulance.

Holy bump!

Your first step needs to be contacting your certifying agency with your state. Diffrent states have diffrent rules. Here in Indiana "BLS Non-Transport" vehicles are required to have a state certification and have specific equipment they need to carry. Check with Arizona, see what their requirements are and that will give you a better idea of the direction to head.

Get a snow-mobile drawn ambulance sled. They make them enclosed, with a seat and heater. Or... Take a W-EMT Course and set up a cross country ski rescue service, not joking. But I'm also not quite sure what you're asking?

Get a snow-mobile drawn ambulance sled. They make them enclosed, with a seat and heater. Or... Take a W-EMT Course and set up a cross country ski rescue service, not joking. But I'm also not quite sure what you're asking?

Sounds like you're referring to the National Ski Patrol. If you are not, although I have no connection to them, I AM referring you to them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.