firetrucks and equipment

i would like to know what firetrucks in rural areas can carry on there trucks as far as medical supplies to be able to meet there needs on the call until ems arrives

Depends entirely upon the educational qualifications of the firemen. It is my opinion that most of them could do just fine with nothing more than c-collars, oxygen, a BVM, and an AED. ABCD is really the only function of a first-responder.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

My FD runs a fully staffed BLS Non-Transporting Heavy Rescue Truck. It includes all the equipment that a BLS ambulance has, with the exception of a cot. We have all the backboards including a pediatric one, scoop strecher, vacuum splints, KED boards, LifePak 12 (with 12-Lead ECG, NIPB, SpO2 and AED defult mode with ALS manual mode with pacer), jump bag, trauma kit, pediatric kit and all the other equipment that the state requires a BLS rig to have.

We have one engine that we run as a BLS rig and it is much simpler. Jump bag that has airway kit, OB kit, suction, c-collars, meds and other misc equipment. We even have a LifePak 12 that only has SpO2, four lead ECG (no 12-lead), defaults to AED but can be changed over when ALS arrives to be maual defib and pacer. We have no backboards or splints on this rig. We have this since it is second out to MVC's and first out for fire's and haz-mat.

The reason we have the Rescue Truck is because we respond on 100% of 911 calls that our ambulance has. Hope this helps.

• Like 2

Here , when an EMS calls comes in , the fire station door opens and we respond with an ALS transport ambulance.

For MVC's and water rescue calls , we also have a heavy rescue truck which has all the same equipment as the ambulance except the stretcher. it also carries all the cribbing & extrication gear.

• Like 1

Two districts in our county have BLS ambulances that role, every other VFD has a rescue truck equiped with everything a BLS ambulance would have minus the transports capabilities. The VFD usually gets on scene 5-10 mins prior to the ambulance. We also have an ALS quick response truck that responds by the paid crew unless there is a fire. They can usually get there about 5 mins prior to ambulance.

• Like 1

we have a heavy rescue and a light rescue. each truck carries a jump bag with all the basics. c-collars. long boards, scoop stretcher,and the same stuff for pedi. all except a stretcher. but the difference is that we only roll when there is a rescue call. the ambulances all respond by themselves and we'll call for rescue for extra hands..lifting, code. we have medics that respond only to certain calls as per protocall that is set up with the 911 center. southern nj is run that if you bill for your services which in no way does it mean that we get paid. just we bill the insurance we need 2 emts...but if you your squad dont bill then you just need one emt and a driver..

crazy i know but that's nj.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

The engine at my department carries very basic medical supplies. However the county's ems unit is never far behind! What we do carry is pretty much the standard, cpr mask, stethascope and bp cuff. Bandages and splits, saline. We also carry 2 backboards at all time and we have a bag dedicated to c-collars.

The engine at my department carries very basic medical supplies. However the county's ems unit is never far behind! What we do carry is pretty much the standard, cpr mask, stethascope and bp cuff. Bandages and splits, saline. We also carry 2 backboards at all time and we have a bag dedicated to c-collars.

My FD runs a fully staffed BLS Non-Transporting Heavy Rescue Truck. It includes all the equipment that a BLS ambulance has, with the exception of a cot. We have all the backboards including a pediatric one, scoop strecher, vacuum splints, KED boards, LifePak 12 (with 12-Lead ECG, NIPB, SpO2 and AED defult mode with ALS manual mode with pacer), jump bag, trauma kit, pediatric kit and all the other equipment that the state requires a BLS rig to have.

We have one engine that we run as a BLS rig and it is much simpler. Jump bag that has airway kit, OB kit, suction, c-collars, meds and other misc equipment. We even have a LifePak 12 that only has SpO2, four lead ECG (no 12-lead), defaults to AED but can be changed over when ALS arrives to be maual defib and pacer. We have no backboards or splints on this rig. We have this since it is second out to MVC's and first out for fire's and haz-mat.

The reason we have the Rescue Truck is because we respond on 100% of 911 calls that our ambulance has. Hope this helps.

Wow, I am jealous, it sounds like your unit is better stocked than my paid ALS ambulance! I wish we had vacuum splints and a scoop!

Up my way in rural NJ our FD doesnt carry any medical. Our rigs are BLS w/ medics responding as needed from the area hospitals. FD does the heavy rescue stuff so they have all the toys to do that. Our BLS rigs carry everything else and we respond basically together on the rescues and fires but medical is only EMTs w/ FD assisting only for lifting.

Our BLS rigs carry scoop stretcher, cot, jump bag, AED, portable suction, O2, OB kits, burn kits, 4 backboards, pedi boards, cpr boards, KEDs, spider straps, collars, splints, Reeves, stair chair, extrication suits, MCI bags, 8 line O2 setup, airways, epi pens, glucose, and all the other little things rigs need. Unfortunatly ALS is usually 20 to 30 minutes out due to our remote location (I know sounds wierd being from NJ but its true) so we rely on ourselves for the most part until we can meet up.

FDNY Engine companies carry the same "jump kit", oxygen setups, AEDs, and long backboards as do all our ambulances. The personnel are Fire Fighters trained to NY State DoH "Certified First Responder-Defibrillator" status.

If a call requires it, both the BLS or ALS ambulance crews can request a FF come along, to assist in or continue CPR in transit to the ER.

Side note: FF-CFR-Ds on an engine company get a bit more $$ when they do a medical call. I don't recall what that amount is.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.