AHA: Compressions Only for Witnessed Arrests

EMTs renew usually once per year. Depends on the agency they work for.

But no, there is only an advise to renew CPR and BFA every two years. So it depends on the HCP him-/herself and their employer if they renew it.

Ironically it seems as if many people keep up with "changes" by watching Grey´s Anatomy, ER and Dr. House. And if they fail in providing care and get sued they rely on what they have learned from Boston Legal and Private Practice.

Oh that is interesting SCARY as heck but interesting none the less.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Compressions only CPR works under the theory that there's enough oxygen bound to hemoglobin and such to circulate while waiting for an ambulance to arrive. Every time you interrupt compressions to deliver breathes, you're interrupting circulation to some vital organs since you ARE the circulation. I think this also works on the theory that you'll get an ambulance pretty quick... I doubt this "new CPR" was made with rural and very busy areas in mind where you may wait for 10+ minutes for an ambulance to arrive.

• 5 weeks later...

Is this going to result in the purchase of more autopulses then? I mean not going to use that oxygen to ventilate them, lets pump it into this machine to go humpity pumpity on a chest while we decide where to have lunch.

Compressions only CPR has been in the pipelines for years, I am pleased we dont have the ability to be sued if a patient remains dead during a resus *unless we do something so stupidly wrong* be it lay person or professional.

Scotty

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry gang, I'm coming in late in this discussion. I am an AHA Instructor on both BLS and ACLS levels. My understanding of the intended audience for the hands, or compressions, only CPR is that it is only intended for heneral public, or lay person, Heartsaver CPR. It is being shown to HCP students so that if we come across someone doing it, we understand that it is not incorrect CPR. I also tell my students, that if they are off duty, like walking in a mall, and someone collapses, they can do it, but MUST do proper BLS CPR when on duty.

If someone has already said all this, I'm sorry. Like I said, i'm coming in late.

The new standard is CCR - cardio cerebral resuscitation as opposed to CPR - cardio pulmonary resuscitation. It is our new protocol. Some salient features -

1 - used for adults only

2 - used for Vfib or non-perfusing Vtach only (PEA, asystole protocol remains the same)

3 - used only in non-respiratory driven arrest ( ie. not for near drowning, positional asphyxia, etc)

The protocol says - 200 uninterrupted chest compressions. Do not stop for ventilations. Pop in an OPA and attach a NRB mask with high flow O2. Check rhythm after 200 chest compressions. Shock if Vfib or or Vtach.

Repeat for a total of 4 rounds. IV/IO access asap and administer epi. No antiarrhythmics.

After 4 rounds, revert to standard CPR, think about airway, antiarrhythmics, etc.

If arrest is witnessed and EFFECTIVE CPR/CCR performed PTA, then shock immediately. (if rhythm is shockable)

On some short transport times, we have delivered patients without ET tubes. Before the nurses in the ED got onto the new protocols, we got flack for it. Everybody is on the same page now.

The new standard is CCR - cardio cerebral resuscitation as opposed to CPR - cardio pulmonary resuscitation. It is our new protocol. Some salient features -

1 - used for adults only

2 - used for Vfib or non-perfusing Vtach only (PEA, asystole protocol remains the same)

3 - used only in non-respiratory driven arrest ( ie. not for near drowning, positional asphyxia, etc)

The protocol says - 200 uninterrupted chest compressions. Do not stop for ventilations. Pop in an OPA and attach a NRB mask with high flow O2. Check rhythm after 200 chest compressions. Shock if Vfib or or Vtach.

Repeat for a total of 4 rounds. IV/IO access asap and administer epi. No antiarrhythmics.

After 4 rounds, revert to standard CPR, think about airway, antiarrhythmics, etc.

If arrest is witnessed and EFFECTIVE CPR/CCR performed PTA, then shock immediately. (if rhythm is shockable)

On some short transport times, we have delivered patients without ET tubes. Before the nurses in the ED got onto the new protocols, we got flack for it. Everybody is on the same page now.

Sorry, but I don't quite follow. Who's protocol is this, it is NOT AHA BLS or ACLS as far as I'm aware.