Side load ambulance

JPINFV

I seem to recall the mentions on the "Squmpers" was, from most of the postings, mostly negative.

Now, if I could find the concept drawings of the combined Ambulance/Engine Company/Utility Boom Arm/Garbage Collection/Law Enforcement Armored Personnel Carrier vehicle that someone sent me, and post it...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to recall the mentions on the "Squmpers" was, from most of the postings, mostly negative.

Now, if I could find the concept drawings of the combined Ambulance/Engine Company/Utility Boom Arm/Garbage Collection/Law Enforcement Armored Personnel Carrier vehicle that someone sent me, and post it...

500166761_35b500611c.jpg

Your half way there! :lol:

I didn't see how to get the patient loaded. The sliding door just makes me think of a minivan or soemthing like that.

With just three pictures at least 5 of the people on this forum have pointed out it's flaws.

Either through the pictures of, or the personal viewings of, the "Squmpers", we 5 have extrapolated the potential and/or actual flaws of the side loading ambulance.

As already indicated, a number of us don't like the concept of, for lack of a better terminology, the streacher-bay of the Squmpers, we have continued it along to these side loaders.

The link said the ambulance could be loaded with the streacher without endangering the crew. I doubt that, as how can it be safer when you potentially have to stand in the adjacent traffic lane to do the load, instead of staying in the same lane as the ambulance and other emergency vehicles?

I didn't see how to get the patient loaded. The sliding door just makes me think of a minivan or soemthing like that.

Last week, I was in Houston with Flight-LP, touring one of the local agencies' ambulance. I forget the manufacturer, but their brand new ambulance had a sliding door on the side, instead of a hinged door. It was awesome! Same size as a normal door, but allowing you to open it easily when other vehicles are parked right beside you, or when inside a cramped garage. Great idea! That's the kind of innovation I like to see from manufacturers. But I can't imagine loading through that door.

It was a Braun.......................................

Our new delivery should be here with a few more of the mods that we discussed last week. I'll post some pics when I see it.................

It was a Braun.

:!: Not sure how I forgot that! :?

I'm just so used to the sloped tops on the old skool Brauns, I guess.

Definitely a nice unit with some smart features. Braun has always been ahead of the curve.

The article says one can load it from either side. Does that mean that, if using one of the so-called "one man" type streacher, we would have to unload it from the same side as we loaded it, so we could utilize the "roll out" feature of the streacher?

Almost sounds like the problem of forgetting which side of the vehicle the fueling port is on.

Actually, if that is the case, when that one last unoccupied ambulance bay is against the wall of the building, someone is going to risk their back doing the off-load if the streacher is in this vehicle "the wrong way".

Almost sounds like the problem of forgetting which side of the vehicle the fueling port is on.

Actually, if that is the case, when that one last unoccupied ambulance bay is against the wall of the building, someone is going to risk their back doing the off-load if the streacher is in this vehicle "the wrong way".

LOL! Good points! If you redesign the ambulances, you inevitably have to redesign the ambulance bay and ER dock too. We would have to reap a pretty HUGE benefit from the sideways ambulance before that kind of transformation would even be considered. So far, I don't really see any benefits at all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.