New EMTs freezing up

trfowler13

I attribute the so-called phenomenon of 'freezing up' more to the inadequacies of the EMT-B program rather than any real, psychological phenomenon. Its not so much to with stress, but rather simply a case of someone not knowing what to do because they do not have the proper training do react to the situation.

Now, it has been a while since I was in EMT-B class, but I do remember some of it. We had a nice field trip to the junkyard. We spent about four hours talking with the local FD and playing with the jaws of life. Was four hours of doing this enough to prepare me to respond to an MVA? Nope, not by a long shot. A new EMT-B simply does not have the knowledge to evaluate or operate properly on any sort of technical or inter-agency scene. If I take a lay person and stick them in the middle of an accident scene, they might just stand there because they do not know what to do, and so it is with a new EMT-B, and some older ones too, IMHO.

For instance, EMT-B class teaches:

1. Scene safety. But they don't really teach it. They tell you to look out for people with guns and downed powerlines. They do not instill the knowledge and confidence in you to look at any scene and know when to enter.

2. BSI. But do they really go into the nitty gritty as to when to throw the turn out gear and when to stay with gloves and goggles? Nope. You can't tell me that you come out of EMT-B class and can tell me exactly what is needed for any situation that is thrown at you.

3. Airway. They teach you to clear it. They tell you how to do it. But they don't teach you how to look at someone and know exactly what to do.

So, if you really want to have EMT-B's in charge of the critically ill or injured, my only suggestion is to drill, drill, and drill for 8 hours a day, five days a week, in a strict paramilitary environment, as in reciting, everyday, chapter and verse standard operating procedures for different incidents, or they simply will not know what to do.

So, if you really want to have EMT-B's in charge of the critically ill or injured, my only suggestion is to drill, drill, and drill for 8 hours a day, five days a week, in a strict paramilitary environment, as in reciting, everyday, chapter and verse standard operating procedures for different incidents, or they simply will not know what to do.

Can you say Paramedic School? Not quite as hard core as you state, but none the less, far more education then an EMT. (And none of those 4 week Paramedic classes either)

Speaking from experience, It is normal to freeze up.

When I first started as a rookie. I froze and would just stare until my partner would take control and order me to do something.

I think that was due to lack of experience on my part. Since I started as a brand new EMT with no field experience I wasn't used to these type of situation. Even though I knew what to do I would just freeze up cause I would freak out.

Practice and More practice will make it perfect. Give them alot of scenarios (hands on, not on paper) to work with.

Terry

I've had trainees not exactly freeze, but really hesitate.

It's not like they're frozen with fear, but they're process doesn't go fast enough because of the information overload (regular people aren't used to taking in that much so quickly and processing it...each time you go to such a scene, more of it becomes automatic and you can handle more.

What I do is just force them to talk to me and state each step, then do each step, without worrying about what's next AT THE BEGINNING... There's always this hesitation of kinda knowing what to do...and then actually doing it... you feel like it's not okay to do for some reason or that you're missing something. End up with analysis paralysis.

Me: What's first step?

Him: Scene size up.

Me: What do you see?

Him: Person laying there.

Me: More. Surroundings, scene safety, first impression.

Him: Umm, fell from that tree maybe? Drunk? I dunno?

Me: Good enough this time. Safe?

Him: Yes?

Me: Next step.....

Him: C-spine/Airway?

Me: DO IT.

Etc etc... Reason I think forcing your way through it is that it's better than nothing. Once they get in the field, they have something to hang onto when adrenaline/overwhelmness kicks in. That's the point of acronyms and step-by-steps...not to replace knowing what to do, but to fall back on. By forcing through it, they also learn to force body/self to take an action...get out of the analysis paralysis loop.

Just my views on it...

its very normal class can only tell you about the oh crap calls not make them realisitic and when you're new most of the ones that are routine for the experienceed emt (inc major ones like described)will bring fear ,freezing etc to n emt just begining the key is just like stated previously keep going out you'll get through it

if you cant get past freezing up after awhile it might be time to ask yourself "is this really for me?"tough question but in the long run if you cant handle it then you're not doing anyone any good you're more liability then asset

I know that my first was a double fatal, and we all know that initial response of "oh my GAWD" but that to you as a director it means they are giving a decent scene size up. We should be standing back and saying wow. I would suggest that you keep putting them out there with a REALLY good mentor who will help them adjust. It just takes time. There are many who freeze at resipatory or cardiac too. Trauma is just so graphic. Good luck to you !!!

I never froze up on scene as a new EMT. But Prior to getting EMT I had run as a third and we had to run calls to be evaluated during my class. Also, one thing has always helped me is to talk things out on the way there. Started when I was new and my experienced partner asking me questions on way to the scene. Now I either talk it with my crew or ask myself questions in my head. It gets me prepared.

I know you might not have all the details. But you can brainstorm on what you get from dispatch. Using symptoms to start thinking what problem might be. Description of MVA can give you idea of what you might need to be doing or dangers to look for, etc.

Just my$.02

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.