For $500, what a 19 y/o, an ambulance, and an iPod causes.

JPINFV

As a really close friend of the family it hurt me to read what all of you were saying and I know it will devastate Bonnie and her family as well as Scott and his family. All I was asking is for everyone to keep the matter at hand important and not placing blame before the truth is told. Bonnie and her family are not placing blame on Scott and neither should anyone else. Everyone involved needs the support of others. I understand bringing to light the importance of safe driving but there is no need to bash anyone involved in this accident. And again PLEASE KEEP THEM BOTH IN YOUR PRAYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I am in a wreck I would expect that everyone would critique it and strive to learn from it. That is what we do here. It is understood that we are all concerned with those injured and killed in events like this. Yes it hurts when we know the people involved. If we wait until an official report is released no discussion will ever take place. If a report is ever released it will be inconclusive or cause unknown. In this case neither one will probably clearly remember the events. So again our discussion would be based on what is seen and read. I am sorry for them and their familys. Trust me we all feel the pain. But we want to help others avoid the mistakes that sad to say probably led to this accident. We do wish them the fullest recovery possible. But that does not diminish the need and actually the responsibility to look at and discuss all possible causes so that perhaps another accident like this is avoided.

i have a question that no one has brought up. HOw are these two ppl doin? Here in mich we jsut lost a 23 yr basic after she was on a pI and was struck by another vehicle. So my concern is of the personal. But I to have been at the brunt end of rumors in this profession and i have had toput a few of them to bed. But right now we need to be concerned for their safety. I wish them both well and a speedy recovery.

http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...377/1019/NEWS03

Injured Rockland EMT Bonnie Ames remains in intensive care

By Steve Lieberman

The Journal News • April 18, 2008

A Rockland emergency medical technician whose arm was amputated remained in intensive care yesterday with other serious injuries.

Bonnie Ames, 21, was hurt Monday when the Regional EMS rig she was a passenger in hit a truck parked on the shoulder of Route 59 in West Nyack.

Westchester Medical Center doctors continue to treat Ames, who remained under sedation following surgery to amputate her right arm, said Raymond Florida, Ames' boss at Regional EMS.

Florida said Ames' parents wanted her medical condition and the specifics concerning her other injuries to remain private.

"They are still taking tests and treating her serious injuries as best they can," said Florida, executive director of Rockland Paramedic Services and Regional EMS.

The rig's driver, Scott Millar, 19, of Haverstraw, is to be released from Westchester Medical Center today and will be transferred to Helen Hayes Hospital in West Haverstraw for rehabilitation, Florida said. Millar has a head injury and fractures to his lower back and neck, Florida said. He was to be released yesterday, but doctors decided he should go straight to Helen Hayes.

The accident shocked the emergency medical responders. Many of them are spending their time at work and at the hospital with Ames and her family. The Ames family is staying at a local hotel, paid for by Regional EMS.

Ames lives in the Orange County community of Florida, where she's been a volunteer firefighter and a volunteer with the Walkill Ambulance Corps. She's worked for Regional EMS for the past 18 months, as has Millar.

Clarkstown police were still investigating what caused the crash.

Millar was driving to Nyack Hospital to set up for the day when he went under the overpass to the Palisades Center, police said. The ambulance hit a flatbed Kamco Supply Corp truck parked on the shoulder, police said.

The truck driver, Sam Lalmahabir, 46, of Richmond Hill, Queens, told police he had pulled over to talk on his cell phone, Clarkstown Sgt. Harry Baumann said. The police were still looking to re-interview Millar.

Florida said he doesn't know what caused the crash and he was leaving the determination up to the police. He said the rig was monitored for speed. He said the electronic monitor indicated the vehicle didn't exceed the speed limit of 45 miles per hour along that section of Route 59.

"I know they were within the speed limit," Florida said. "We're cooperating with the investigation. We will let the professionals with the police determine what happened. Our main concern remains our people."

I have a question that no one has brought up; How are these two people doing? Here in Michigan, we just lost a twenty-three-year Basic after she was on a pI [<no idea what that means], and was struck by another vehicle. So, my concern is for the personnel. [s:6c158a29f0]But[/s:6c158a29f0] I too have been [s:6c158a29f0]at[/s:6c158a29f0] the brunt [s:6c158a29f0]end[/s:6c158a29f0] of rumours in this profession. And i have had to put a few of them to bed. But, right now we need to be concerned for their safety. I wish them both well, and a speedy recovery.

EpicFail02.jpg

Maybe it's her keyboard.

A couple of questions, first off to praying4bonnie&scottl if you are a close and personal family friend why are all your posts about their condition from the newspaper?

Second, something I've been holding back to see if anyone else caught it.

Millar has a head injury and fractures to his lower back and neck, Florida said.

Now why would he have inuries like that? I see no penetration or intrusion on the driver's side. So how could the driver have been so seriously injured? Anyone? Bueller?

A couple of questions, first off to praying4bonnie&scottl if you are a close and personal family friend why are all your posts about their condition from the newspaper?

Second, something I've been holding back to see if anyone else caught it.

Now why would he have inuries like that? I see no penetration or intrusion on the driver's side. So how could the driver have been so seriously injured? Anyone? Bueller?

Well everyone knows I hate to speculate but perhaps he had no seat belt on and was reaching for something when the impact occurred. Definitely another thing to keep in mind wear your seat belt and no DWD.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.