Emergency Educational Institute

Okay, sports fans, your old buddy Asys has himself a bit of a situation.

I am desperately trying to put in for my National Registry paramedic certification. Long story short, to meet their requirements, I have to do a paramedic refresher. Now, recently, we've gone to a 5 year, on the job, CME based recertification process that I am still not sure meets their requirements or not, which leads me to believe I need to do a formal, 48 hour refresher course.

Which leaves me with my problem. I can't find a refresher course in my area in the time frame I am looking for. I found this site:

Emergency Educational Institute

Which states it is an acceptable online paramedic refresher which is certified with the State of Florida. My question is, has anyone used a service like this? Is it legit? Yes, I know this is not the way I like to handle my education, but I do need to get this done

PDQ. Thanks. I think this place was mentioned in a thread a while back but I can't find it. Oh and BTW for anyone who doesn't know I'm currently certified in the State of New York as a paramedic.

I thought paramedics could challenge the national registry by exam! I did to recert my Basic this year... just waiting on a medical director for when I actually become part of LCSAR to sign my paperwork so I can send it back in.

You might want to consider that option. Let me see what I can find.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Damn. Think that only works if you're already registered... but it was a thought! :lol: Sorry bro, didn't find anything to help.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

The State of Florida EMS has that school listed on it's website as approved for CME.

When I had to re-new my NREMT-P I went out of state and NREMT had no problems with it as long as the school was approved by the state the course was in and that the course met the NREMT Refresher rquirments.

I would verify with the school what is going to be covered and I would also verify with NREMT they will accept it. Make sure and get names and departments of anyone you talk to at NREMT, it seems like everyone has a different answer.

I have used www.techproservices.net . No problem with national registry, passed with no worrys. Online can be great or diploma mill depends on the school.

I don't know anything about EEI, but I do know about TechProServices. Despite a rather silly sounding name, they are indeed legit and actually offer great educational resources. They have at least one regional National Registry co-ordinator on their full-time staff, so they know exactly what does and does not work for NR. I highly recommend the.

Of course, EEI may well be just as legit. The answer to your question is yes, you can do this by distance. It's not an easy task though, if you're not a self-motivated and disciplined guy when it comes to self-study. Lord knows I'm not. I need a classroom and a time clock, or I'll never get around to it. Compare your options and go with what works best for you.

BTW, I think it's an awesome exhibition of your professional commitment that you are going for NR without being required to. Let me know when you're ready to move to Texas. Or Iraq. :lol:

imho EEII is the epitome of what is wrong with EMS in Florida. It is a very small mom and pop operation with little emphasis on actual education. I do not, however, have any idea if their course will fulfill the NR requirements. Since the state of Florida does not require NR there is very little emphasis on options for testing and whatnot. In short, I would definitely triple check with EEII to ensure they meet the requirements. The owner/manager of EEII is a very nice gentleman who should be happy to answer any questions you may have. Sorry for the mini-rant. Have a good day and be safe

Asys...

I and about 20 other medics here in Osamaland recently recerted our National Registry by using eeii.org.

They are totally legit business and National Reg accepted them with no issue.

It is NOT an online refresher. You download the program and answer all the questions. It is a home study refresher. You have to answer all the questions in complete sentences, there are no shortcuts or they will kick it back.

For the record, it took me about 4 days to fully complete in between work shifts and everything. I invested many hours into this refresher and yes I did actually learn a few things in my searches and remembered some things I had forgotten. I also had to use multiple resources, books, online, etc to complete the questions.

I have no problem with a program like this for an experienced medic, and since it is a refresher, experience is what you should already have when doing something like this. It sure beat the hell out of me taking a week out of my life to sit in a classroom to accomplish what I was able to do on my own. Plus, the price was VERY, VERY affordable. It was around 125 bucks when I did it. Sure beats missing work, gas and food costs for a weeks worth of classroom meetings.

When you complete the program, you mail it back to the school and they review it/grade it. They then issue you a certificate stating you completed 48 hours of paramedic refresher material.

NR gave none of us any grief over the certificate.

For the record, eeii is NOT what is wrong with EMS in Florida, what is wrong with EMS is FL is what is wrong with EMS all over the nation. Fire rescue mergers left and right for starters, followed by low education standards, and people wanting the patch only to better their chances for getting a FF job or to boost their pay by 6K prior to retiring. THAT is what is wrong with EMS in FL.

These business are fulfilling a need, that is the purpose of owning a business. I do not fault them as they are in it for money. If we raise the standards on a state and then national level, these businesses will comply or be out of business. To fix problems, go to the root of it, not one of the branches.

Thanks for replies everyone, especially AK. I'm basically in the same situation you are in, I need to get this done soon and I just don't have the time to take a week off for a refresher.

I didn't want to try to cast aspirations on the quality of their work, just with the proliferation of fraudulent online courses, I felt I needed to ask before I took the plunge. Besides, being a medic $125.00 is like two weeks pay, lol.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.