What happened to me?

PCB

No! We don't need the S/S like he'd give on a PCR...

Ok, so perhaps you don't need his s/s, but I would like them. Hell, he's full grown, been given advice to see his doctor, which he'll take or not. After that, what makes this different than any other case study?

I've read his posts, he's not an idiot. Allowing us to learn from this experience in no way that I can see is going to cause him to decide to make the logical decision to visit his doctor, or not.

Why does the fact that this happened to someone we know somehow lessen it's educational value?

It was dangerous, whatever it was. It affected judgment, breathing, motor function, and level of consciousness.

Exactly. Which is why the logical thing to do is to explore it and learn from in. This is one of the rare occasions that we have a patient, can explore the issue, and compare our logic to that of his doctor's when/if the etiology is uncovered. How is that a bad thing?

... but you're going to be doing yourself and the rest of the world a disservice if you continue the stupidity by trying to get a diagnosis online instead of seeing your primary care doc.

Again, what was said the would lead you to believe he's not going to follow the advice given? I've posted many personal/professional issues for opinion on the forums without ever considering allowing them to be the final word. Advice is advice.

Allowing online advice to replace your doctor is idiocy. PCB has proven many times he's not an idiot.

Just sayin'...

Dwayne

...hey, you were down a pint or 2, period and with the very brief related experiance it is most likely the cause...

ps He is ok now, well at least he can type in "chat" and no way he is an idiot ... just a dumb ass :wink:

How do you figure? He's at the clinic half an hour after he passes out, we then have the drive home. (Which makes your post silly as, one, he's already stated he made poor decisions, and second, doesn't sound as if his decision making ability was intact anyway.), How long does it take someone to compensate for the loss of a pint of blood in your world? He should have done so long ago.

Compensation is directly proportional to Fluid intake in my world, personally I use the life giving "Beer Therapy" asap after donating but thats because of my Scottish Heritage = CHEAP DRUNK.

Ok lso ets do the Math and keep in mind the very astute input from my Brother from a different Mother ... the holder of the " I hate the senario when BP is normally 90/60 geriatric club" te he.

So:

Estimated blood loss = 500 mls. besides additional Labs drawn ? + Insensitive H2O loss increased with "possible" Hyperventilation.

PMHX: (3 hours prior) + 12 ingested p.o. 16 ozs/ 475 mls of H2O .... normal renal function = therefore Homeostasis, so one can not account for this intake.

Ok the old adage when replacing volume: For every liter blood loss then 3:1 crystaloid IV replacement, so following that an episode of sycope with only 1 "soda" of 12 oz. / 355 mls. remember ... P.O again. (juice would have been far better .. more electrolytes is all)

Therfore a net loss and not replaced by intake ... net deficit = 1025 mls .... to my way of thinking, I guess in hindsite I should have said down a liter ! my bad ? like again?

hope that helps, then again it could be Lupus or Lyme disease. :roll:

cheers

PCB, I'd love to hear what happened during the episodes... but not until you've seen the doc and you have "and this is what the doc said" to post at the very end of that post.

Did ya miss that part, Dwayne? Didn't say I didn't want to discuss it... just wanted to put emphasis on what I feel to be the higher priority here. What I'm saying is that it is extremely easy to consult fellow EMT's and paramedics with health concerns, and to just take what they say and go "oh, well, yeah, that makes sense" and never follow up with a doctor. It's easier, and cheaper, to discuss things here in the forum than it is to confront a possibly serious health problem in the doctor's office. Many of us hate going to the doctor... that old adage about EMT's being the worst patients, no?

PCB is an adult... and a very intelligent person. Which is what makes me worry... because the last thing I want for any of us here on the City is for anyone to get hurt, or to potentially ignore an illness when early diagnosis is so key for many health problems. If I came off strong in that post, it was because it's borne of concern- not that I think he's stupid or NOT going to see a doctor.

I was trying to make sure we avoided the trap of "well, my friends on the City think it's this, so I must be ok" because I know from *personal experience* that is very easy to slip into.

Syncopal episodes have many possible causes. As one who's had them in the past... yes, usually it's pretty simple dehydration or low blood sugar... but sometimes it's something important that needs to be addressed. Especially in someone who's not prone to "dropping out" for whatever reason... multiple syncopal episodes are a warning sign that makes my spidey sense go nuts.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Could it just be that the original cause of the blackout (whatever causes it, lack of fluid? not enough juice/snacks) wasn't properly fixed so it kept happening...

When I gave blood, I got a "flash fever"........within a minute I was burning up . . . felt horrible, like I was sick in bed with a horrible flu...but times ten....the wet towels they put on me felt soooo good, exactly what I needed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.