Ethical scenario from Mobey's scenario

Definitely have to agree with most on this thread. The ankle patient is yours, whether he is a prick or not. Get him to the hospital, and if they still need you for that bus accident, then I'm sure you'll know.

Late Thoughts :

I wonder if Dr. L. Francisscutti would like to comment about this senario ?

He is after all a serious advocate and on the Alberta Trauma Prevention Council.

Maybe about seatbelts in School Buses ?

Maybe about ALS in Rural Communities ?

Maybe about improved municipal funding formula's ?

Maybe about provincial EMS direction ?

Maybe about other things, hes one smart guy !

just wondering is all ?

cheers

And the poster boy speeks :wink:

Sit him in the front seat of the truck, and respond to the MVA.

Pick up whatever patient you are assigned, and make sure the ankle @$$hole knows exactly how serious this is as you treat them.

On arrival at the hospital, stick him in a wheelchair and get a transporter to take him to Public Triage.

And the poster boy speeks :wink:

Hey you back in your corner (plural) LMFAO!

Hey: My poster has a "REWARD" on it and its in every P.O. across Kanukistan, mr smarty pants .... 8)

cheers

Call telemetry. Have him triaged off on scene. Utilize resources appropriately. If all else fails, record his comments, and then forward them 'anonymously' to the news media, along with the names of your supervisors as to why it took so long to respond to the bus accident.

Trust me, the media LOVES stories about bureaucracy and rules slowing down response.

Actually, JPINV is more or less on the right track, though this might vary depending on the area you're in and the resources available. If there is a MCI and you're dealing with this type of patient, these questions need to be answered:

Where are the next closest units?

How many are there?

How long will I be busy with this prick before I'm available?

Is this really an MCI, or did someone just see something that looked bad?

What is the potential scope of the MCI?

If resources are low and it's the real thing, triaging this person as green would be appropriate; it's the same thing that will be happening in dispatch; the guy who calls in because his finger hurts won't be getting an ambulance anytime soon. Like it or not, a honest to god MCI will effect more than just the people on scene, and triage will not only be done there either.

Now, if you have everybody and their brother able to respond...well, you probably aren't needed and it's a moot question. But, if resources are scarce...an MCI is not a local or immediate problem; it's going to cover a much wider area than the origin and effect a hell of a lot of people beyond those initially involved.

Someone already stated what is actually FDNY EMS policy, you treat the patient you have.

If you are not yet on the scene, and your FDNY EMS ambulance comes up on a different incident, and here I specify on the street, you call it in that you have a "flag-down". Dispatch then is supposed to put another unit onto your original call.

If you have, after arrival, another patient, say, in the lobby, not connected with your assignment on the 5th floor, you have to treat the one in the lobby, even as you request another ambulance for the 5th floor.

Some get around this, at least in part, by having one half of the team stay with the lobby patient, and the other goes up to the 5th, so, either way, some kind of care will be started on both patients. This is dependant on what type calls each assignment came over as, originally. Half of a second team can continue care with the first team's lobby call, the other half does the same on the 5th, and everyone goes to the same hospital, and then back with their original partners and vehicles.

I admit that this does not always work. Whatever is done, keep the dispatcher appraised as to what you're doing, or trying to do.

I also show my sometimes lazy side, when I am assigned an EDP, and handle that one, even as a really nasty MCI is going down in my district. Yet, sometimes, yes, I do want to do the MCI.

• 2 weeks later...
Sit him in the front seat of the truck, and respond to the MVA.

Pick up whatever patient you are assigned, and make sure the ankle @$$hole knows exactly how serious this is as you treat them.

On arrival at the hospital, stick him in a wheelchair and get a transporter to take him to Public Triage.

there would be big hippaa law violation here. And how do we know this is not a parent or grnad parent of one of those kids?

I have to agree though that you were dispatched to this call first and it is your call. There for that pt is your responsiblity. Here Dispatch is the one who makes the call as to who goes on what. And with my unit already on a call then then they will send other units to the call. After we have taken in our pt then we ask dispatch if they want us to respond to the mc or if it is covered. More than likely though we will be goin to the mc any way. I would go with protocals and dispatch.