How to ask for a new uniform-funny

An excerpt from an email to my supervisor:

"There comes a time in the life of every class A uniform, where it has lived a good life, having experienced every wrinkle and stain known to man. Remnants of Salsa Fresh, midnight Dr Peppers, coffee, blood and even the occasional lipstick on the the collar have made it the ominous evidence...nay, the proud show of devotion to the EMS lifestyle.

And mine has reached that point; it should take its rightful place in the far end of my closet to be taken out only when I wake up at 0500 to find the rest of my shirts are crumpled in the hamper."

It would appear, Riblett, we have different frames of reference.

Nothing wrong with that, but, where I am from, and via my life experiences, a "Class 'A' Uniform" is, or are, the uniform you wear when representing your organization at a formal dinner, marching in a parade, or, regrettably, at a "Departmental Funeral".

With the seemingly routine abuse of the uniform you described, that seems to be more the "uniform of the day" than a "Class 'A'", as one doesn't normally wear the fancy "A"s to get blood, Dr Pepper, or lipstick on them (well, maybe the lipstick, from some "uniform junkie", of which I've met a few).

Yeah, seriously. If you're wearing Class As that often, then you're attending way too many funerals. :lol:

Class A uniform:

ems_uniform_pkg_pic.jpg

I imagine what you are really talking about is a Class B uniform:

pS22-21_ss.jpg

Despite what the idiots at Galls say, those are not Class As. In fact, it's a reflection of how little class our profession has that it considers any shirt with buttons on it to be "Class A".

Around our area EVERYONE ( except two newly educated persons (riblett and myself)) call the class B uniform as Class A. If I am not mistaking, if we wear the uniform to a special event, such as a funeral, then we add a tie to it and look "professional."

Before the merger, the New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation EMS uniform was white shirt, hunter green pants, jacket and tie. Ties were always worn with the long sleeve shirt, or anytime you were wearing the jacket. If you went formal, change from the green baseball cap with mini shoulder patch on the front, to the green "8 point Garrison" hat. In all cases, socks were black, and shoes were supposed to be a type that held a bright shine. Left shoulder was the department patch, and the right was the level of training NY State DoH EMT patch, or the NYC EMS Paramedic patch. The badge was worn on the left front of the chest of the outermost garment, with nametag below, and any award ribbons above the badge.

The FDNY EMS uniform is different. It's Navy Blue shirt and pants, black socks, and dependant on if working inside or field, either patent leather shoes, or special blood bourne pathogen resistant boots. Except for the socks, the department supplies the uniforms.

That was the work or "Class B Uniform"

The dress, or "Class A Uniform" is a light blue shirt, Navy blue single breasted jacket (for some reason is called a "blouse", but I am not going into semantics at this time) and tie, with navy blue "Bell Cap" ( I think the cap makes us look like conductors on the Long Island Rail Road)with Star of Life device, and, again, the black leather patent shoes. For rain, there's a really nice looking navy blue Trench Coat that goes with the ensemble.

Oops, I forgot to mention, EMTs and Paramedics wear collar pins on whatever shirt, that are the Star of Life with FDNY overlay.

Again, all shirts, department "work" jackets, and blouses, have the FDNY patch on the left shoulder, the modified NYS EMT patch (modified with FDNY "rocker" on the top), or FDNY Paramedic patch, on the right shoulder.

Lieutenants wear light blue shirts for "work" uniform, white shirts for "Class A", with rank on the collars. Captains and above wear white shirts, and ties on both long and short sleeve shirts. Both the lieutenants and above wear a decorative SOL device on their lapels of their double breasted blouse. Captains and above, with appropriate gold bands and scrambled eggs on the brim, wear white bell caps, lieutenants a silver band. EMTs and Paramedics have your basic black band on their bell caps.

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.