Robot or Human Spouse?

Scaramedic

In a Bladerunner type future which would you choose...  

11 members have voted

1. 1.

• Human?
    • Robot?
    • Buffy-bot?
    • Brad Pitt-bot?

So here's the question.

Is this the beginning of the end of marriage...

wwwreuterscom.jpg

...she is a Japanese receptionist robot. Not bad in my opinion. So in five or ten years I can foresee some pretty hot robots out there. So my real question, and this is going to piss off the ladies, as robots become more realistic (think Bladerunner) do you think marriages will decrease and robot ownership increase? Imagine a Jessica Alba, or a Salma Hayek model. :wink:

Ladies would you rather have a slovenly husband or a man-bot?

Me I am waiting for the Buffy-bot model and my wife is out the door. :D

JK.

P.S. In reality the ethical questions on this are endless.

Marty I want a robot one, Can we choose what they look like and can you get them built to your satisfaction? If so SIGN ME UP FOR ROBOT :!: :!: :!: :!:

Human interaction will hopefully always take precedent over the convenience of an interactive machine. However, if they go far enough and develop AI.... then all bets are off, no? If robots become sentient and gain rights (Asimov, anyone?) then how will robot-human relationships be regulated? Where will they fall in the legal structure?

It's a very interesting speculative field! :| But that secretarybot is creepy. And if she functions anywhere near as annoyingly as the Fujitsu self-check machines at the grocery store, I'll pass. I definitely end up talking back to the self-checker...

me: "Just take my cash, you arrogant machine!"

Fujitsu: "Please remove the last item from the bag"

me: "I didn't put anything in the bag! What are you smoking?"

Fujitsu: "Welcome valued customer!"

me: "You said that 10 minutes ago! Did you forget?"

Fujitsu: "Thank you for shopping with us! Don't forget to take your change and receipt!"

me: "You didn't take my money yet! Does that mean my groceries are free? Why don't you inform the security guard over there..."

Fujitsu: "Please follow the instructions located on the pinpad."

me: "I just fed you a $5 bill. WTF do I need the pinpad for?"

Fujitsu: "Thank you for shopping with us! Don't forget to take your change and receipt!"

me: "You are welcome you Japanese hunk of electronic junk! Thanks for taking forever!"

Now imagine if it had emotions... and looked like a woman... aren't you menfolk complaining always that we're *already* hard to read? Throw in some good ol' Bill Gates-esque technology and THEN see how you feel...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Human interaction will hopefully always take precedent over the convenience of an interactive machine. However, if they go far enough and develop AI.... then all bets are off, no? If robots become sentient and gain rights (Asimov, anyone?) then how will robot-human relationships be regulated? Where will they fall in the legal structure?

It's a very interesting speculative field! :) But that secretarybot is creepy. And if she functions anywhere near as annoyingly as the Fujitsu self-check machines at the grocery store, I'll pass. I definitely end up talking back to the self-checker...

me: "Just take my cash, you arrogant machine!"

Fujitsu: "Please remove the last item from the bag"

me: "I didn't put anything in the bag! What are you smoking?"

Fujitsu: "Welcome valued customer!"

me: "You said that 10 minutes ag... Hits Mute Button

Ahhh that's better. :lol:

*Looks longingly at destruct button... settles for "reboot" for Scara and "boots" him furiously across the room*

Wendy

CO EMT-B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.