Tunnel Vision, ignorance or both

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh.

Thanks.

Would that be what I keep hearing from the Paramedics as a "Central Line", but a different name for the same? Or is the central line something else entirely?

As mentioned, I am BLS, so the only thing with the Jugular Vein I am usually aware of, is "JVD", Jugular Vein Distention.

OH my... :shock:

What a butcher in that video..

Would that be what I keep hearing from the Paramedics as a "Central Line"

I guess some numb nuts would call it a central line. I don't.. Central lines would be when they allowed Subclavian and Internal Jugular cannulation in our EMS protocols....the good old days.. :D

OH my... :shock:

What a butcher in that video..

I guess some numb nuts would call it a central line. I don't.. Central lines would be when they allowed Subclavian and Internal Jugular cannulation in our EMS protocols....the good old days.. :D

Yeah, damn those EZ I/O's.. :twisted:

Oh.

Thanks.

Would that be what I keep hearing from the Paramedics as a "Central Line", but a different name for the same? Or is the central line something else entirely?

As mentioned, I am BLS, so the only thing with the Jugular Vein I am usually aware of, is "JVD", Jugular Vein Distention.

I've had a JV line inserted while still awake. Had pneumonia with asthma attack. I'm a very poor candidate for a periphereal IV.They needed my blood in a big hurry. They had tray tray out to ET. me.Come to find out one doc had argued that he would have done. But being awake during an JV is nothing compared to a femoral stick, small or largo bore, it hursts the same if not. Apologies to the ladies out there, but if felt like my right nut was trying was to remove it with a rusty WWII surplus knife sucking through a 14-16g. I just don't panic until they "Cut down''.

In matter of fact I had to have blood drawn today for a pre-op on a heart test/surgery on the 15th. The phlebotomist who drew my blood had been my parents neighbor for years, in matter of fact one of her sons may have been in my little sister's class. And she knew how bad my veins were she missed the first time. She seemed a little upset. I told her not to be. On average I'd say it's three sticks. I usually tell anybody and it took more than once, not to worry about, it's just payback for all the people I had stuck in the past.She asked me if it was alright to draw from ABG's. I was a leary of it because one time I had an ABG drawn by a young little gal, and it hit a nerve or tendon or some thin and and I had wrist/hand/numbness for about a month. But today Yaddi did good.

Yeah...I'm a little surprised by those afraid of EJs...

I'm not out of clinicals yet and have started three. What's the issue? Prep well, occlude, look for the vein that's about as big as a tree branch, and stick a needle in it...Easiest IVs I've started I think...with few exceptions.

Besides, it's big, will take a bunch of fluid, pretty easy to see if it's patent or not with a saline flush, did I mention easy?, and I didn't notice people complaining or showing s/s of pain any more so than with other IVs (If I remember right I used two 14s and two 16.)

I would not use it first, mainly because it's a little more difficult to secure, as well as it tends to make some folks a little hinky. But if I need access NOW, it comes way early in the list.

And as someone mentioned before I hate leg/foot IVs with the more delicate diabetics. Fire about had a coniption (sp) fit when I was on my second phase and asked that we use an EJ instead of foot when several attempts in the upper extremes failed for a bed ridden 60ish diabetic with multiple other medical issues.

I got the "Oh good, a cowboy" look, but I tried to explain that her feet were constantly covered, and that she was already missing several toes, which led me to believe amongst other things, that she had very poor circulation there.

I felt that an EJ, in one attempt, would be less likely to be harmed by the sugar, had better circulation, but the most important thing to me, it would be seen by every person that looked at her face while it was healing. (Note that this is my logic. Probably not good logic as I've not seen nor heard it from the experienced medics I've ridden with. But it makes sense to me.)

Anyway, we started on the foot with several attempts, and it all worked out in the short term, though I would have loved to see her feet a few weeks later.

Ok...I see that I'm rambling again...this seems to happen when I don't get to post often. :?

Have a great day all.

Dwayne

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.