Another example of why you don't stop off duty

Paramedic Injured

Posted: April 8, 2008 06:23 AM

Updated: April 8, 2008 12:11 PM

One person is taken to a Tulsa hospital in an auto-pedestrian accident on the Broken Arrow Expressway Tuesday morning.

Tulsa Police say an off-duty EMSA paramedic saw the driver of a car hit a big pool of water. The paramedic parked and went to check on the man.

As he did, the driver of a pickup hit the same body of water, hit the car and then the paramedic.

The paramedic was taken to the hospital to be get check out.

No one else was hurt in the accident.

Unfortunately, this isn't the first time in recent years that an EMSA medic has been injured while lending aid to crash victims on the side of a Tulsa highway said EMSA spokesperson Tina Wells.

In November 2006, an on-duty EMT evaluating patients at wreck on U.S. Highway 169 was hurt when a vehicle careened into a crash scene, sending the original vehicle hurtling into the medic.

Wells says traffic should slow down when approaching a crash scene or stopped emergency vehicles and should change lanes, to give workers a wide berth, whenever possible.

P.S. They really need to hire a Copy Editor for their website. "The paramedic was taken to the hospital to be get check out."

Unless I have an ambulance with lights or a fire truck with lights, a radio, additional personnel and all appropriate supplies and equipment, I will and would never stop at an auto accident. I am not going to get sued or exposed to something due to the fact that I enered an un-safe scene without proper coverages.