Medical Alert Tags

How many, be honest, take the time to look for or notice a medical alert tag?

Guilty.. :lol:

Every single time.

If the patient is alert I ask first..

I conduct a very thorough assessment in the field, so this is second nature to me and my partners..

(edit) How many have seen medic alert tattoos??

I have come across a handful. Easy to miss, by the way.....

I look when I am doing assessments, but have never found one. I have had a few conscious patients say they have one on. I feel like saying, "thanks for sharing!!"

Sarge

Guilty.. :lol:

Every single time.

If the patient is alert I ask first..

I conduct a very thorough assessment in the field, so this is second nature to me and my partners..

(edit) How many have seen medic alert tattoos??

I have come across a handful. Easy to miss, by the way.....

I am guilty by going by just going by assessment and interviewing the patient and not knowing. Sometimes it might slip their minds about that condition. It wouldn't be til later that I, or a nurse, would notice a bracelet. A necklace would be hard to miss. And if you do find one that says Check Wallet, by all means check the wallet.

A gal I worked with had one tattooed on her wrist. She was very beautiful and you would never guess she had a medical problem. But she was a bad diabetic. I got to know her well enough that if she was working and I came in I could take one look at her, not say a word and get her an orange juice. Sometimes she balked at it but most times she thanked me and said she didn't realize she was starting to have a problem. I loved her dearly like a sister and maybe that's one reason I was more aware of her appearance. God, I miss her.

I am guilty by going by assessment and interviewing the patient and not knowing. It wouldn't be til later that I'd, or a nurse, would notice a bracelet. A necklace would be hard to miss.

A gal I worked with had one tattooed on her wrist. She was very beautiful and you would never guess she had a medical problem. But she was a bad diabetic. I got to know her well enough that if she was working and I came in I could take one look at her, not say a word and get her an orange juice. Sometimes she balked at it but most times she thanked me and said she didn't realize she was starting to have a problem. I loved her dearly like a sister and maybe that's one reason I was more aware of her appearance. God, I miss her.

nah you just thought she was beautiful and it messed with your head to think of her like a sister didn't it. Admit it. Say it say it say it.

Why do you miss her? did she die?

I used to wear the Medic Alert Bracelet, but the damn thing fell off. I am now, after almost 30 years, on my second necklace (in use for 7 or so years).

As a mention, when I am the "patient" in class, I mention to the instructors and whoever is assigned to "examine" me, if they found the necklace. Regrettably, few seem to care.

Furthermore, when I was hospitalized from the EMS Academy with a case of SOB (Spring, 2007), I mentioned the necklace, which holds a dog tag sized tag, to both the crew that transported me, and even to the ED crew, as I have on record my meds, and the dosages of same, which I didn't remember, and nobody checked to find out those dosages with the Medic Alert Foundation.

Go figure.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.