Surfer's Myelopathy

Here's something new for us Coast people. I had never heard about until a Seattle girl came down with it after taking surfing lessons in Hawaii. Something to keep in mind if your planning on learning to surf on vacation.

Surfer's Myelopathy.

Case Reports

Spine. 29(16):E353-E356, August 15, 2004.

Thompson, Todd P. MD; Pearce, James MD; Chang, Gonzolo; Madamba, Joseph

Abstract:

Study Design. The authors reviewed a series of nontraumatic spinal cord injuries associated with surfing lessons.

Objectives. To characterize a unique syndrome of paraplegia/paraparesis to improve clinical recognition, treatment, and prevention.

Summary of Background Data. Surfer's myelopathy is a previously unreported nontraumatic spinal cord injury that affects inexperienced surfers. Nine patients with paraparesis/paraplegia were evaluated and treated after nontraumatic surfing events.

Methods. An office-based registry tracked patients with surfer's myelopathy between July 2001 and December 2002. A retrospective review of hospital records searched for additional patients. Nine cases of surfer's myelopathy are retrospectively analyzed to characterize the incidence, risk factors, and outcome. The literature related to surfing injuries is reviewed.

Results. Nine patients were detected with surfer's myelopathy between June 1998 and January 2003. The average age was 25 years. Most patients presented with back pain, paraparesis, and urinary retention. Other presenting symptoms included paraplegia, hypesthesia/hypalgesia, and hyperesthesia. At the time of discharge, three patients had a complete recovery and four patients had mild weakness without sensory deficits. Three in this group had residual urinary retention. One patient remained paraplegic. All patients had abnormal signal change in the lower thoracic spinal cord by magnetic resonance imaging.

Conclusion. Surfer's myelopathy is a nontraumatic paraparesis/paraplegia that affects first-time surfers. Although most patients have a complete or near-complete recovery, complete paraplegia has occurred.

© 2004 Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Inc

Another great article on it.

That is news to me. Not much surfing here in the desert though. :shock:

In the link I found this interesting :

"Ischemic nontraumatic spinal cord injury associated with surfing is a novel diagnosis believed to be related to prolonged spine hyperextension while lying prone on the surfboard. Only 9 cases have been documented. "

So odds are non of us will ever see this. Or not as I also found this interesting:

"However, considering that surfing is popular worldwide and has been practiced in Hawaii for generations, it is likely that many other cases may not have been recognized, especially before the advent of MRI or in locations in which this imaging modality is not readily available."

Thanks for a unique case to consider.

Hmm. Interesting.

Between teaching surfing, being a surfer, and doing my clinicals on beachside Rescues, this is something to take into consideration.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.