Current status of CONTOMS?

Does anyone know what the current status of CONTOMS is? The CCRC website doesn't seem to work and I've googled CONTOMS enough to know there isn't an easy way to find it. I went through the UHS and DHS websites and haven't found anything about upcoming classes. I even thought to look through FLETC but didn't get any results there. I know CONTOMS was having some funding issues...did it get cut? Anyone know if there are CONTOMS classes being run in 2008? I am eligible to take the class as part of a PD ERT.

The Protective Medicine Branch of Immigration and Customs Enforcement has ceased to exist, and so went CONTOMS. There are efforts by some of the faculty to get it reinstated under another federal agency. There is interest on behalf of these agencies, but without funding, nobody's picked it up yet. No word on when this might happen.

'zilla

Thanks Doc. I was looking for a definitive answer and you got it. Is there an actual certification for EMT-T anymore? I realize there are respected schools out there but can one use the title of "EMT-T" after them. My department has asked about a "certification"...it looks good on paper.

Virtually anyone can issue such a certificate, since there is no regulating body or standard curriculum to define it. It doesn't mean much to have "EMT-Tactical". The only question is whether or not a SWAT team or educational program will recognize your basic 5 day TEMS course as a valid prerequisite for membership/advanced training/whatever.

Schools offering a comparable program:

Tacmed (www.tac-med.org)

Global Operations Response Group (www.gorgrp.com)

RTI (www.emtt.org)

ISTM (www.tacticalmedicine.com)

National Tactical Officer's Association (www.ntoa.org)

Cypress Creek EMS (www.ccems.com/catt_team/class.html)

'zilla

Virtually anyone can issue such a certificate, since there is no regulating body or standard curriculum to define it. It doesn't mean much to have "EMT-Tactical". The only question is whether or not a SWAT team or educational program will recognize your basic 5 day TEMS course as a valid prerequisite for membership/advanced training/whatever.

Schools offering a comparable program:

Tacmed (www.tac-med.org)

Global Operations Response Group (www.gorgrp.com)

RTI (www.emtt.org)

ISTM (www.tacticalmedicine.com)

National Tactical Officer's Association (www.ntoa.org)

Cypress Creek EMS (www.ccems.com/catt_team/class.html)

'zilla

So Tac-Medic is kind of like Wilderness EMT, tons of courses but not really recognized nationally?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.