Bulletproof Vests for EMS

Mateo, I'd have to agree with Dust on all those points. I'll let him explain, but I don't think he's at the type of base where he's suddenly pinned down by enemy fire while going out to buy his goat milk...

In the US, you can't know when you "medical bleed" call is really a domestic violence situation (one of the most deadly types of calls for cops) or the "altered level of consciousness" is a psych patient running full speed at you with a butcher knife. Or when a car's going to zoom around stopped traffic and T-bone your ambulance. But you do know when there's going to be basically your entire police department on-scene providing protection.

But anyway, the main point I wanted to make again is that no one is advocating not replacing existing safety measures (scene safe checks, staging, seatbelts, etc) with body armor.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mateo, I'd have to agree with Dust on all those points. I'll let him explain, but I don't think he's at the type of base where he's suddenly pinned down by enemy fire while going out to buy his goat milk...

Yeah, there are no bad neighbourhoods on a military base. :D

If the enemy is inside the wire, we know it pretty quickly. At that point, I don my armour (which is never more than a few steps away) immediately, because everybody on both sides is going to be shooting wildly. Otherwise, wearing armour on base would be like wearing armour in bed, in your bunk room at the station.

A much better comparison to American EMS would be while travelling outside the wire in Iraq, where I ALWAYS wear armour. Even when it is 130 degrees. Even inside an armoured vehicle. Even though we haven't seen an enemy attack there in nearly a year.

Hey thanks for reposting that. I had forgotten. I am not worried that I need a vest for being shot. Perhaps we need to cowboy up like the bull riders have and start wearing vests to absorb some of the abuse we get from the bad drivers.

So what light weight, easy breathing (so it doesn't act like an oven and cook me), vest would be good for us in EMS where being shot is very unlikely but an ambulance wreck is highly probable?

To get back on topic and because nobody answered my question.

Is there a multi purpose bullet proof vest that could also carry all my supplys?

** Two New Jersey paramedics sustained non-life threatening injuries Saturday, after being struck at a multi-vehicle MVA scene in Cherry Hill. The Courier Post (April 12) said the duo, who were loading a patient into the rear of the unit at the time, were hit from behind around 9 a.m. Both were transported to Virtua West Jersey Hospital. Information is not yet available on the specific wounds the two suffered.

This is just one of the incidents that I see almost daily in the EMS news and appears never ending ....................................!

Not much doubt in my mind that wearing of a vest in this situation (or many others situations) would not have be a "bad" idea either.

Just FYI: anyone wishing to post links to affordable VESTS, please feel free I am all ears, that said I would really like to hear from Doczilla for his informed and respected input .

I am totally convinced now and about to put some hard earned $$$$ down.

cheers

Wondering: Do I need a Vest to go to a Wedding, as I have tentative plans to head down south soon. 8)

Only if it is a shotgun wedding.

No I think the "OLD GUY" is just shooting blanks anyway. :oops:

Can I bring MY Shotgun too, I may need it Now !

What do you mean a vest that will carry all your supplies? How much do you carry on you? Do you mean a cool one like Dust's with all the little straps and pockets? That's usually just based on the carrier jacket.

BUT in EMS, you guys should probably be wearing your vests under you uniform shift (on top of your under shirt). Think of how cops wear them. An added plus is your uniform gets filled out and looks pretty spiffy :D Shirt stays tucked in straighter, too.

But yeah, Spenac, that ebay one looks like exactly what you'd need. Though that looks really freaking cheap for being type IIIA and stab proof. Don't know how bulkly/unbulky it is. Have the Doc take a look at it. I'd also recommend buying the separate trauma plate.

Now, I wouldn't feel TOO pressured to buy it, like you're not going to be a proper EMS personnel without it...it's just a really valuable extra that you can buy to keep yourself safe "cause you deserve it" *thumbs up sign*

What do you mean a vest that will carry all your supplies? How much do you carry on you? Do you mean a cool one like Dust's with all the little straps and pockets? That's usually just based on the carrier jacket.

BUT in EMS, you guys should probably be wearing your vests under you uniform shift (on top of your under shirt). Think of how cops wear them. An added plus is your uniform gets filled out and looks pretty spiffy :D Shirt stays tucked in straighter, too.

But yeah, Spenac, that ebay one looks like exactly what you'd need. Though that looks really freaking cheap for being type IIIA and stab proof. Don't know how bulkly/unbulky it is. Have the Doc take a look at it. I'd also recommend buying the separate trauma plate.

Now, I wouldn't feel TOO pressured to buy it, like you're not going to be a proper EMS personnel without it...it's just a really valuable extra that you can buy to keep yourself safe "cause you deserve it" *thumbs up sign*

Actually I have decided to become a whacker. I figured a vest and batman belt would allow me to have anything and everything with me at all times. J/K

Really I have know clue as to what would be practical. I actually doubt I will ever be where I would need bullet proof. But if it helps absorb the shock from say a wreck or even a kick could see that. I know bull riders now where a vest that absorbs much of the shock from getting stomped by a bull. We had a patient restrained, at the hospital they said they could not restrain so they released patient. At least one nurse ended up with broken ribs after patient kicked them. Perhaps vest would have helped.

Am I going to go out and buy one today? Probably should, but no money. Darn IRS took it all. But will be looking at it in the future. I'm old and want to get older.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.