Bulletproof Vests for EMS

It is a shame that these days we in the EMS field risk being shot, stabbed, or assaulted in other ways when trying to provide care to those so willing to take our lives. I'm seeking any information anyone may have regarding surplus, granted, or otherwise readily available body armor that might be provided to EMS personnel.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was discussed in detail during the past year or so. A search should yield you a pretty good discussion.

Honestly you will have to probably provide your own. The only grants I have seen for them is for LE.

II'm seeking any information anyone may have regarding surplus, granted, or otherwise readily available body armor that might be provided to EMS personnel.

By "provided" do you mean "given to", as in for free?

Question, Do you ALWAYS wear your seatbelt, in front or in back?

The odds of you getting shot on duty,very, very low. The odds you will be killed in an MVA, very high. Second only to dying in a chopper crash or dying of cardiac arrest on scene.

GUNS DON'T KILL PARAMEDICS, MOVING VEHICLES KILL PARAMEDICS!

Save yourself the money and the inconvenience of wearing body armor for the one in a million chance you will get shot.

I don't know...it's been happening quite frequently lately...

When? So far the National EMS Memorial only lists three EMS death for 2008, two struck by vehicles on scene and 1 cardiac arrest. In fact they show the last fatalities by GSW in 2004.

You want to survive on the streets, workout, watch your cholesterol, beware of whats going on around you at all times, stage when necessary and stay the hell out of anything that flies and you should be fine.

The odds of you getting shot on duty,very, very low. The odds you will be killed in an MVA, very high. Second only to dying in a chopper crash or dying of cardiac arrest on scene.

GUNS DON'T KILL PARAMEDICS, MOVING VEHICLES KILL PARAMEDICS!

Save yourself the money and the inconvenience of wearing body armor for the one in a million chance you will get shot.

Well, you were almost on to a good point. Almost.

My vest has saved me twice in ambulance crashes. Very definitely useful in mitigating that threat, regardless of whether you are ever shot or not.

Firstly: The whole concept of BULLETPROOF is a sham, as the shotgun is very effective tool for finding holes / chinks in lots of body armour and under the arm is a big cop killer, as are head shots. The whole idea is a misnomer and unless one is wearing a level 3 "ceramic plates" type BODY ARMOUR and a Kevlar Lid, so if you have one inkling to wear this level of protection working on a truck. Are you considering or subjecting oneself to a higher than "regular" threat level ? Just saying a bit of false sence of security. If one is working in a tactical support or combat role well that's a tad different and then it should not be issue it should be issue ! period.

In passing Combat small arms Schools are even teaching a different stance when confronting a shooter based on this evidence, well that's what I have been told and only when exchanging lead. :wink:

Question: So do you have reflective stripes on your BDU ? hells bells ... not me, I don't care to be targeted and running and hiding becomes a bit of a mute point with 3M reflective crap all over. I do enjoy working with larger and slower partners :twisted:

If one looks to the stats of EMS LODDs, MVC are the highest on the hit parade, so just what are we doing again ? Playing cop or medic ? yea, yea, I know on a very few occasions one does waltz into the unexpected.

Secondly, and more importantly in my mind: Scara makes a very good point, WE are getting hammered at MVC scenes, we are being stupid ! To that end I have done a little sewing on an old trauma MCI vest as my last job site was super high risk with highway traffic or the "importance" of being located from the air.

RULE # 1: Treat ALL drivers as Idiots .... cause they are. :shock:

The lime green and reflective silver tape appears to be visually the loudest, my theory being if they can see me maybe they will not hit me or will find me ... :shock: That said my Vest is removable if I find myself going into "domestic incident" type call, again just a smaller target.

ps I wear running shoes too, believing "discretion is the better part of valour" as the yellow stripe up my backside doesn't seem to affect my ego tooo much. :lol: I so hate the sight of my own blood.

cheers

Firstly: The whole concept of BULLETPROOF is a sham,

Question: So do you have reflective stripes on your BDU ? hells bells ... not me, I don't care to be targeted and running and hiding becomes a bit of a mute point with 3M reflective crap all over. I do enjoy working with larger and slower partners :twisted:

Yup bullet proof if low caliber and hits at the right spot. To many areas available to still kill you. Heck the Texas heart shot (femoral) is a nice big easy target, if you miss it the shattered bone will probably do the job for you.

Your also right, I don't have to outrun the aggressor, I just have to outrun my partner.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.