EMS TODAY CONFERENCE 3/2008

WANTYNU

OK I know someone posted an EMS Today thread, but it had one post, with no replies.

AND this is not about hooking up a ride to the show, (I went on my own - drove 4 hours from NYC ) and besides the show is over now anyway…

So MY QUESTION IS: did anyone here attend, have you been to previous shows, and if so how did you think this show measured up?

I ask because I rented a booth (Talk about $$$$) and did not see the “foot traffic” I have seen even at smaller local shows.

It seemed to me that the only vendors present were the “Big guys” and there was a complete absence of the small equipment booths that you can get those hard to find items, or the really good “Show Discounts” to save a few bucks that I’ve seen in the past.

Also I was wondering if you did go to the show, what did you think (and finally did you get a chance to see me or my booth)?

Thanks to all.

Be safe

WANTYNU

I was there, and honestly, was not interested in buying anything. I went for the classes (need those NREMT-P hours.) The classes I thought were great, especially Gordon Graham and the closing keynote. I never laughed so much, and learned.

When I was downstairs, I was either with 1 friend who already knew many of the vendors, he was doing more networking (AKA looking for freebies). The rest of the time I spent with an ambulance sales rep. He was an old friend I haven't seen in a while. That, and his assistant was hot.

I did not spend much time talking with reps, and did not notice your stand. Sorry. I did spend some time talking to agencies that were hiring. You never know where life will lead you.

I hope you were able to get a cheap rate on a good hotel like I did.

You know, one of these days I am going to get the courage up to go to an EMS conference. I just have this fear of being in a large convention hall type arena packed to the gills with people with Star of Life T-shirts, tattoos, and poor personal hygiene standards. Seriously, I get anxiety just thinking about it.

Are they as bad as I think they are or should I just embrace my fears and go sometime?

You know, one of these days I am going to get the courage up to go to an EMS conference. I just have this fear of being in a large convention hall type arena packed to the gills with people with Star of Life T-shirts, tattoos, and poor personal hygiene standards. Seriously, I get anxiety just thinking about it.

Are they as bad as I think they are or should I just embrace my fears and go sometime?

Actually I've found Emergency Medicine Conventions much more informative. Conventions meant for Dr's, Nurses, RT's, EMS, etc. I agree the whacker crowd can be overwhelming at EMS conventions. I love the fact that a lot of people show up in uniform or with their departments T-shirts at EMS convention. Yet at Medical conventions you don't see people showing up in scrubs or lab jackets. Plus you get a lot more and better swag at medical Conventions. :D

Show up in a T-shirt that says "You get what you pay for.....stop volunteer ambulances." I did, and the hooples left me alone. It was great.

I used to attend every conference, in general I think they a good thing.

I did not know Gordy was doing the keynote, or I would have attended, (as it was I worked my butt off breaking down the booth to get home) he is fantastic and I use his LF/HR analysis chart in all my WMD and Hazmat Courses. I think his lecture should be mandatory for everyone in public safety.

But, I was asking from an exhibit perspective (since I’m usually a conference / lecture attendee) what the feeling was on the show floor.

As for swag, don’t blame me, I was giving away free carabineers! :D

-w

PS. I still have a bunch, so if anyone wants a carabineer, send a self addressed STAMPED envelope to my PO box and I'll send you (1) one.

How much postage is a beaner worth? :D

They're less then 1 ounce, so whatever first class mail is now a days, something like what 40 bucks.... :shock:

-w

I haven't been to one since like 1991, so things might have changed. But most of the people that I saw at JEMS, EMS Today, and NAEMT Conferences were all relatively normal looking. I mean yeah, they were dorky, with lots of polyester, thick glasses, and pagers. But it was pretty rare to see an EMS shirt or uniform, unless it was a local. I like the majority being dorky, though. It makes it easier to pick out the people that are worth associating with. Although, some of them will still fool you. After all, Jack Stout and Jeff Clawson always dressed pretty well. :D

They're darn well worth attending, especially if you are interested in the national scene, and maybe relocating someday. You can make some really great contacts that can be valuable down the line. Even if you are not interested in ever relocating, you get a lot of up-to-date point of view there that is valuable perspective to help you develop your own practices. In so many systems -- and I would bet FDNY is particularly guilty of this -- it's just really easy to live totally insulated from what is going on in the rest of the EMS world, and consequently stay way behind on the progress curve.

I never attended one of those things that I thought was a waste of time or a disappointment. Of course, these days I get even more of the same kind of benefits out of EMT City, so I don't feel as compelled to go as I used to.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.