Reciprocating saw usage?

Yes the joke a thread is getting a bit tiring and we are weeding them out so that the topics can have some substance instead of the the first two being serious posts and the rest being being Beavis and Butthead banter.

Sorry big boss. I'll try harder to stay on track.

That's just plain wrong aculuca2001, using them on people, vibrations and getting stuck or even their being too dangerous, are you sure you aren't desigining something other than a reciprocating saw?

If a patient is impaled on metal object you also need to remember that the cutting generates heat that transfers to the patient.

If you design something new let us know.

I do agree that a redesigned saw with a decreased heat transfer is something that would be beneficial to those who are impaled.

But it would benefit in other ways if the saw was redesigned but I'll leave the redesign of the saw to smarter people than me.

I do agree that a redesigned saw with a decreased heat transfer is something that would be beneficial to those who are impaled.

But it would benefit in other ways if the saw was redesigned but I'll leave the redesign of the saw to smarter people than me.

My mind is in overdrive so bear with me. Do any of you think it would actually be beneficial to actually heat an impaled object so it would seal shut blood vessels to limit blood loss? Could this actually be a life saving measure? Am I way off base?

Yes the joke a thread is getting a bit tiring and we are weeding them out so that the topics can have some substance instead of the the first two being serious posts and the rest being being Beavis and Butthead banter.

Which one is Spenac?

Regarding the heat problem, wouldn't cooling with water while cutting work as it would also lessen flying particles?

As far as heating the impaled object, there may be a couple situations out of a thousand where it would work, kind of like CISD (stolen from Dust).

My mind is in overdrive so bear with me. Do any of you think it would actually be beneficial to actually heat an impaled object so it would seal shut blood vessels to limit blood loss? Could this actually be a life saving measure? Am I way off base?

holy crapola Spenac, can you imagine what the patient's face would look like.

"we're gonna heat this pole to cauterizing temperature so we can seal off the blood vessels"

Can you imagine their expression.

holy crapola Spenac, can you imagine what the patient's face would look like.

"we're gonna heat this pole to cauterizing temperature so we can seal off the blood vessels"

Can you imagine their expression.

Prior to doing it could you RSI them? Then they would be unaware of what had taken place. I guess I think of these things because of the distance/time I deal with my patients. If they have massive internal bleeding they will be long gone prior to getting to a trauma surgeon. Not all patients would need this. Many impaled patients are very stable, but at times you get the one that has hit the lottery and are pouring blood from everywhere.

Again sorry for my overactive brain. Guess being in school and doing so much research is making me think very abstract.

If I was already in pain from being entrapped by impalement, I'm fairly sure I would not want the additional pain of the impaled object being heated.

Did anyone mention the fire/explosion danger of sparks from the use of any rescue tool igniting vehicle fuel vapors?

On a different, but related topic, what about body heat loss from water used to keep the impaled object(s) cool while they are being cut? I speak from living in an area where winter temperatures can and do go below, and stay below 32 degrees Fahrenheit, and unlike the other discussion mentioning portable heating units used in even colder environments, I know we don't even have those type units here in NYC

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.