Reciprocating saw usage?

I know that Firemen use reciprocating saws to cut into cars, but i would like to know if EMT use them. If so, how do you feel about them, what kind, or brands are being used? What are the problems, or what is good about them. I'm working on a redesign of reciprocating saws, and i would like to know how they are being used.

Thank you

I know that Firemen use reciprocating saws to cut into cars, but i would like to know if EMT use them. If so, how do you feel about them, what kind, or brands are being used? What are the problems, or what is good about them. I'm working on a redesign of reciprocating saws, and i would like to know how they are being used.

Thank you

Two EMS services near my location run extrication as well. One has a special unit for it with certified individuals. The second service has three units to cover the county and it carries extrication equipment on each unit. It is a double medic truck and one starts cutting while the other assumes patient care. I cannot remember if they have dual spreader and cutters but I do know that both services have Milwaukee Sawzalls. Since there are few VFDs that have tools they do their own. It works for them.

in our region the ambulances have stopped carrying extrication equipment because all the FDs attend and extricate. Most of them use reciprocating saws in their bags of tricks, but the brands vary. The ones used in our town are Dewalt, one corded, and the other cordless.

We find that they are extremely useful, especially for cutting through pedals and steering columns without the deflection you often get with hydraulic cutters. Redesigning them for dedicated extrication use would be a challenge- perhaps attaching some kind of shield to help protect patients when the quarters are very tight, or reducing the size of the body of the machine?

Thanks for the information everyone, no i did not intend the usage as being applied on people, does anyone else have any issues with reciprocating saws, such as vibrations, getting stuck, or even if they find them too dangerous? once again, thanks for the help, all your feedback is going towards my redesign. Thank you.

I've never been a big fan of reciprocating saws. There are other tools (hand and power) that I prefer over a Sawzall.

For windshield removal, I prefer a Glas-Master.

I think a big improvement for reciprocating saws would be a much faster operating speed and better blade stability.

Shayne

Thanks for the information everyone, no i did not intend the usage as being applied on people, does anyone else have any issues with reciprocating saws, such as vibrations, getting stuck, or even if they find them too dangerous? once again, thanks for the help, all your feedback is going towards my redesign. Thank you.

That's just plain wrong aculuca2001, using them on people, vibrations and getting stuck or even their being too dangerous, are you sure you aren't desigining something other than a reciprocating saw?

Could of sworn I posted a joke based on wording of OP's question and then explained where it proves most beneficial in real life. Guess I was dreaming.

In real life when big rigs crash and you need to get patients out reciprocating saws work great. They are able to cut even where jaws of life can not get. Our fire department uses them frequently when they help us on extrication.

As far as to how myself and others understood OP. Based on some of the wonderful shows about EMS :roll: I made statement that they work great for amputating stuck extremities to ease extrication, but is done less than emergency c-sections on dieing women.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.