Draft 3.0 New National EMS Educational Standards 3/25/08

Wow. They want to add a whole thirty hours to the EMT-B curriculum, and even that took a major fight. Woo hoo! That ought to bring EMS into the twentieth century. Not.

:roll:

[stream:0aae95f8bf]http://www.claysradioshop.com/Wave%20Files/Austin%20Powers/Austin%20Powers%20-%20bone.wav[/stream:0aae95f8bf]

Here's a chance to make some noise....

I went to the California EMS Commission meeting today and at least THEY seemed like they took heavy input from the public comment period.

Oh, PS CA is getting EMS license plates.... I should post some notes of the meeting in another thread...interesting stuff...even a little volunteer EMS talk.

I went to the California EMS Commission meeting today and at least THEY seemed like they took heavy input from the public comment period.

There were people in California calling for tougher EMT-Basic standards? Even with the amount of EMS based fire suppression that's in that state?

In February, there was a National Educational Standards conference here in Minnesota. Many of the big players visited the college I attend and sat in on our classes. As students and perspective paramedics, we had the opportunity to voice our opinions on the current EMS education and what we hope and want it to become, and what we thought of the proposed Education Standards. This is something we have been discussing as a group for several months in class and most are in agreement that a higher education at all levels is needed. I think a few of the visitors were taken aback by that. We also discussed the Agenda for the Future of EMS in detail and gave opinions on what we saw as positive and negative.

As for the new education standards, well, it's a starting point. Now they need to go a few more steps and really think about what type of education pre-hospital providers at every level really need. As an example, how can an EMT-B honestly care for a patient and give a proper patient care report if he/she has no clue how the body works. Anatomy and Physiology would correct this problem. Wouldn't it make more sense to have classes such as Intro to EMS and Ambulance Operations as part of the basic curriculum instead of after the fact as a prereq. for paramedic.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts on it.

There were people in California calling for tougher EMT-Basic standards? Even with the amount of EMS based fire suppression that's in that state?

Ha! Hell no. I was making the point that EMS groups may actually be responsive to comments from the public (professional groups, etc). . . so if you guys want to write to NEMSES...here's your chance...they MIGHT actually semi-listen...