Is this illegal?

Hello all. I hope you are all enjoying your winter. We have here in Maine. Snowiest in over a decade. So they say. Got a quick question. A co worker is going on Vacation and wanted to work my shifts this week and Me to work hers next week. The boss is cool with it. This is to keep any and all over time down. But today the boss cops an attitude and now says that it is illegal and she can not allow this. I was wondering if this is acurate. I just not sure why it was fine last week but now it is not. I would appreciate your input.

take care and be safe.

Did your sup. give any other explanation? I dont see how this is illegal, it is totaly up to your supervisor or management to schedule shifts. Do any of the shifts run consecutively with yours? I mean would you be working 24 hrs a day for the whole week?

Way too vague.... Some aviation units have a cap on the number of hours you can work straight, and the number of days you can work without a day off.... as do commercial truck drivers ,, you would have to ask for clarification on exactly what is illegal... if you are working more than 40 hours per week or in some cases 80 in 2 weeks they may have to pay you OT under the FLSA, at least that is the case with my job.

Thanks for the tips. This particular service payweek is mon-sun. I'm not sure what the deal is. I work for couple different services but this service is located in Northern Somerset. No we are not Union. Sometimes people/services can be so frustrating. They want no OT and the way it was arranged that there would be no OT just straight hours. Take care and stay safe.

If you are talking about banking hours to avoid overtime, then yes that is illegal. You also can not legally work under some one elses name. That is the only reason I can see that your boss would say it is illegal.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.