I need some help explaining something......

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember in junior high school biology class, the instructor taking a frog out of a jar of formaldehyde...pinning it down and making the frog 'kick' by electrical stimulation....

The girls in the class didnt seem to think it was all that 'cool'!

One of the things I did in my undergrad physio lab was a bunch of stuff (monitor force with varying frequency of shocks, preload, afterload, etc) with a frog's leg muscle (Gastrocnemius). Of course we removed said muscle from a live, but anesthetized, frog so it was a pretty fresh muscle.

Does anyone else remember the picture of a restaurant serving frogs legs, where there are about 12 frogs in really tiny wheelchairs rolling around the floor?

Sick? Yeah, but that's probably why I remember it. Stuck in my mind.

Oh, as for the dead frog legs kicking when an electrical charge is applied? Check out your patient in LEO custody, when they use either a stun gun or TASER on them. Same generic type jumping and flailing around. Or, notice when a patient is defibbed, they almost always seem to arch their backs?

Extra credit question: What does "TASER" REALLY stand for?

Does anyone else remember the picture of a restaurant serving frogs legs, where there are about 12 frogs in really tiny wheelchairs rolling around the floor?

Sick? Yeah, but that's probably why I remember it. Stuck in my mind.

Oh, as for the dead frog legs kicking when an electrical charge is applied? Check out your patient in LEO custody, when they use either a stun gun or TASER on them. Same generic type jumping and flailing around. Or, notice when a patient is defibbed, they almost always seem to arch their backs?

Extra credit question: What does "TASER" REALLY stand for?

Acrynom for Thomas A Swift's Electric Rifle - science fiction teenage inventor and character Tom Swift used it

TASER is the trademark name for it. It was invented by Jack Cover a NASA scientist who read the books as a child and recalled it when he developed the his first stun gun. He had it patented in 1974.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.