EMS Interview Questions

BEorP

Interview season has begun in Ontario for many services so I thought it might be good to have some sample interview questions posted (not just for Ontarians, but anyone applying to EMS). There were two other threads relating to interviewing that I found, but neither focused on questions you should be ready for (see the other threads for what not to do and how to talk about your weakness). I will start if off with a few but please add more.

Why do you want to be a paramedic?

Why do you want to work for our service?

What do you have to offer our service?

What is your best quality?

What is your worst quality?

Your partner comes to work drunk, what do you do?

What are some of the challenges facing the health system in _______?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a comedian once said :

I like to bring a book a read during the interview. When he asks me what the hell are you doing, I say this.

If you are in a vehicle traveling at the speed of light, and you turn the headlights on, would anything happen?

When his reply was "I don't know..", I said "Then I don't think I can work for you."

we use a mix of scenario and the generic questions.

throwing in "what are the indications of using glucose?" gets people thinking and i generally get more honest answers when they use their skills.

however, if you have to prompt them on the basic skills, you have to consider if this person will be a liability, how well can they perform there other skills, and will they be able to follow state and organizational protocols. also, skill assessment can give you an idea of how much training this person will need to perform at the level of quality you company expects out of your employees. ( 1 week, 2 weeks, or even a month)

also, during the hiring process you need to ask opinion questions were there is no right or wrong answer. this should give you an idea of a persons social skills, bed side manners, and fellow employee compatibility. no matter how good an EMT-B or EMT-P at there assessment skills they still need to get along with facility representatives, their patients, and especially their co-workers( no one wants to work with someone with a god complex. it is detrimental to company moral.)

my last tip is to ask them about there future. most will get there certifications or license and stop with furthering there education. but the others that continue to educate them selves to benefit there patient care or to benefit the company (leadership/management classes) or other college to benefit themselves.

do they plan on enrolling in a retirement program with or with out the company?

are they willing to handle more responsibility in a few months?

all these will help indicate to you weather or not they will stay or use the company as a stepping stone in there careerer

This got me thinking. I use to come up with some great interview type of questions, now I'm more or less drawing a blank. Guess it's been so long since I've even though about it I forgot how to think.

Give me a little while, maybe I can help.

Be aware of the behavioral based interview that is becoming more popular with EMS agencies. Don't be afraid of it. If you know what to expect it's actually easier than a standard interview. Use the STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) technique and you'll be golden.

Now are these for entry level, not yet EMT's or EMT's just trying to get on? Some of your questions kinda reflects either.

I don't really have any paramedic specific questions. All the questions I use are designed to give me insight into the applicant's experience, character, intelligence, social skills, and critical thinking abilities.

I am particularly into the questions that jbullfrog09 mentioned in his last paragraph. I too want to know about their plans for the future. I won't hire anybody who is just waiting for a call from the FD. I won't hire anybody who is giving their services away elsewhere. I won't hire anybody who does not have a specific plan for furthering their medical education. I won't hire anybody who is not yet sure if EMS is what they want for a career.

One question I always ask is the scenario about rolling up on an MVA with unknown injuries while responding to an emergency scene, or while transporting. They don't have to get the question right, but they do have to both present an intelligent argument for their choice, and they have to "get it" when I explain to them the correct answer. I believe AMR is using that one in some places too.

I don't know about everywhere but around here we don't get alot of new medics. So if you have been in the system more than a couple of years chances are the person interviewing you knows you already. The interview is more of a formality at that point.

I always like the question "Tell me about yourself?" I always wanna list my turn ons and turn offs.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.