Uniforms?

BVESBC

I agree I put name tags up there with badges. Brentolis right (bolded for notablity) with most systems wearing ID cards do we even need our names on our shirts? What are we McDonalds?

Something I just thought of as well. If its a hospital based system, which any of Dust's will be, they all have these fancy proximity cards/magnetic strip cards that you need to gain entry...

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I wouldn't mind name tags (screw the McDonalds jokes. Hospital staff wears name tags all the time and their working in a closed environment whereas EMS works out in public) as long as they're good quality. Name tags on shirts give a false sense of security. There's nothing stopping someone from wearing someone else's shirt. On the other hand, a good picture ID badge (not something anyone with a computer and a home laminator can make) can truly identify the people entering your home or office.

I like the photo name badge... that way no one can kipe your ID and impersonate you...

Mine hangs from a lanyard (ick), I'd much rather have it as a clip on my shirt.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

You know whats funny, one of the reasons I wear the full uniform shirt rather than the so called "golf" or polo shirt is because it DOESN'T have my name stitched on it.

Listen, if you work in a large enough area you're going to run into bitchy people who will want to complain about you no matter what you do. If you make them go to a little effort to lodge their complaint, it will filter out a lot of the bullshit. Trust me on this one.

Plus I don't like people calling me by my name unless I know them personally.

Completely agreed. Nobody reads those things unless they are either complaining or complimenting you. In either case, they need to talk to me about it first if they want my name. Nothing with sharp points or edges or pins is going on my uniform. And my ID card stays in my wallet too. Ever walked around on a windy day with one of those things on? Ever crawled into a smashed car with one on? Ever had a scared patient grab onto it for dear life as you lift them to the cot? No point. Puhleeze... they make zero difference on impersonation since the public has no idea what a real ID card looks like anyhow. Anyone with a computer and a laminator can make a convincing ID badge, so they are useless for that purpose. Besides, even if they can fake our uniform and ID, they're not likely to fake our ambulance. I mean, if two guys show up saying they're from EMS, and there is not a big ambulance parked outside, they are lying. That's a no brainer.

What about state laws? Unless I misunderstand the rule but in Texas you must have visibly displayed your name, level, and service. So we would have to either change the rule or decide what would look most professional in complying.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.