Uniforms?

BVESBC

I'm interested to see what other companys out of my area use for uniforms. We until recently used polo's (the shirt) with all of the identifying paraphernalia and Navy Blue Uniform pant's, No wacker AKA/ BDU's No Dickies. We decided recently that we wanted a more professional looking uniform and settled on Class A white short sleeve uniform shirts and kept the pants the same. I'm just looking for others opinions on this and I'm interested in what they use.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a firefighter/emt in Chicago and I work my tower ladder as well as a bls ambulance. We were issued flame retardant blue pants that we use for both positions. We were issued work boots/shoes. Our fire and ems shirts are blue polos (summer wear) with the city patch on one sleeve and the fd patch on the other. We can get away with just wearing a fire dept blue house shirt (T-Shirt) if we want. We can also wear our long sleeve shirts (Winter wear).

We were issued windbreakers with liners for rain and winter. I dont like short sleeve shirts or t-shirts. I feel more protected with long sleeve shirts. BSI / bodily fluids and blood are very communicable when your arm are exposed. I know it gets hot but that is what a/c is for. I would like cargo pants with pockets to carry commonly used items like xtra gloves, pen light, etc. But we were not issued them and cannot wear them.

Our medics are basically issued the same items as our FD. Ambulance officers wear white shirts though. They have full turn out gear with diferent coloring to differentiate them at a fire scene. We must carry our turn out gear on the ambo at all times.

You must look professional but also have some sort or protection. I would also caution all members to wear only what is approved or issued. If you get injured or are exposed to anything and you are not wearing issued items you might not be covered.

We decided recently that we wanted a more professional looking uniform and settled on Class A white short sleeve uniform shirts and kept the pants the same.

Are you fire or EMS?

Around most of Texas, the two combinations you mentioned (Polos and Class A shirts) are the most common in Texas for EMS. It has become most common here to utilise some sort of slip-on epaulette sleeve to denote either rank or cert level, though some agencies do not. You don't see any of the Polo agencies with patches on them, just a company logo, name and cert level embroidered on the chest. Badges aren't very common in non-fire agencies. Fort Worth wears them, but they are square (and ugly and heavy as hell), not public safety style. Lots of wanker departments wear collar brass with "EMT" or "EMTP" on them. It's rare to see a non-fire agency wearing t-shirts.

The vast majority wear white class A shirts, with the occasional agency wearing light blue. White, grey, dark blue, and even red are seen in Polos.

Some agencies have finally realised that there is no law saying they have to look like cops or firemonkeys, and have progressed to something more suitable. Occasionally you will see a smaller agency wearing medical flight suits, usually navy blue. Some are also getting away from the silly, off-the-rack, cop-style "class A" shirts with the badge tabs and scalloped pockets, and instead wearing airline style shirts without all that nonsense. When it comes down to it, though, most agencies have no imagination beyond what they see in the Gall's catalogue.

Most here seem to be doing the EMS pants thing, but regular uniform pants come in a close second, and are more popular with the more experienced veterans. The only people I see wearing BDUs are fire whackers and EMT students who are too cheap to buy EMS pants.

Speaking of fire whackers, they most commonly wear either light blue uniform shirts with name tags (with or without epaulettes, about half and half), or the newer style dark blue NFPA shirts with embroidering on them. In the summer, white or grey Polo's, dark blue or grey t-shirts replace the uniform shirts in almost every department. Many departments even allow shorts.

Lots of good ideas out there. Way too many options to get stuck simply doing what everybody else does. Choose something that is functional, safe, and distinctive for you. Looking like a cop is neither functional, safe, nor distinctive. Good luck!

Time to show my ignorance...what's the difference between BDU and EMS pants? The drawstring at the cuff?

pants03.jpg

The best EMS Pants made.

The pockets are the main difference. BDU pants have big, expandable bellows cargo pockets on the thighs.

EMS pants have smaller thigh pockets, with scissor and instrument slots and straps on them, and sometimes other pockets, like lower leg pockets and glove pockets. And they're usually made of a very different material from BDUs too. And they are made to fit better than BDUs, which are made to wear loose.

Of the two companies I run with, the first one we only have 3 paid people they are required to wear BDU's and a polo shirt, in the colder months they are allowed to wear job sweats. The volunteers are basically allowed to wear whatever. However if I'm the scheduled EMT I wear what the paid crew wears for a sense of professionalism.

The second company is both paid and volunteer however with the uniforms you wouldn't know the difference. We are required to wear the Navy Blue EMS pants, and a navy blue button up uniform shirt, with an ID tag, along with our last name on the shirt, the companies patch and our level patch on the proper sleeves. Job sweats are permitted but they also have navy blue jackets we are allowed to wear that have the companies patch our name. Its very professional.

I'm partial to our uniforms

Why?

What's so special about them? They look pretty much like everybody else in Ontario.

You wouldn't change anything about them?

Why?

What's so special about them? They look pretty much like everybody else in Ontario.

You wouldn't change anything about them?

We use golf shirts, most of Ontario uses button up "cop" shirts or whatever you want to call them which I don't like.

I really don't think I would have much to change on our uniforms other than the horizontal stripe makes a "swishing" sound when it rubs. Other than that it is comfortable, professional, recognizable and different than other emergency services.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.